Please create an account to participate in the Slashdot moderation system

Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
×
Movies Media

The Hype of the Rings 626

With the Fellowship of the Rings just around the corner, the Slashdot Submissions bin is overflowing with stories about the film since it premiered in the UK already for you lucky brits. If you don't mind a little spoilage, here is the guardian's review, the BBC review, the telegraph review, some pictures from the premiere, and one last review. Also, Scifi.com is reporting that the film has already been pirated. The reviews have their nitpicks, but on the whole its looking good. M : LOTR tattoos!
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

The Hype of the Rings

Comments Filter:
  • by nigelc ( 528573 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @11:41AM (#2687098) Homepage
    Sci-Fi channel is also running a one hour "Making of LOTR" program which is really quite good. I think that Peter Jackson has "got it", although I'm waiting in dubious anticipation for the lists of "All the things that suck about this movie". A whole new generation of drooling fanboys lurks.

    It opens next Wednesday -- wanna try to /. a movie theatre???

  • Corrected URL (Score:5, Informative)

    by blamanj ( 253811 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @11:49AM (#2687133)

    Actually, the text of the Guardian review is here. [guardian.co.uk]

  • Re:Corrected URL (Score:3, Informative)

    by gowen ( 141411 ) <gwowen@gmail.com> on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @11:56AM (#2687186) Homepage Journal
    Thats not the usual Guardian critic, either, just one of their media weenies. They'll certainly have a much less superficial review (probably by resident film critic Peter Bradshaw) in Friday's edition. I'd check back later [guardian.co.uk].
  • You'll hate it (Score:2, Informative)

    by wiredog ( 43288 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @11:59AM (#2687195) Journal
    If you want it to be absolutely true to the book, the way Harry Potter was, don't see it. Arwen has a much bigger role, as a sort of warrior princess (Eowyn like) from what I've heard. Also, they dropped Tom Bombadil.

    Nazgul chasing hobbits on a dock

    Probably at the ferry after they leave Farmer Maggot's house.

  • by kenthorvath ( 225950 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:08PM (#2687247)
    I will respect J.R.R's memory and to the producers and actors and (almost) everyone else who made this movie possible and deserves to profit from it, but I do not believe even for one minute that his family should own the rights to his work after his death. *Let the flaming begin*...
  • The tattoos (Score:5, Informative)

    by OblongPlatypus ( 233746 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:08PM (#2687249)
    The Yahoo article doesn't mention this, but this month's print issue of Empire Magazine [empireonline.co.uk] did. The Fellowship actors' tattoos all depict the Tengwar symbol for 9. (Tengwar being Tolkien's Elvish alphabet; you can see what it looks like here [io.com].)
  • Re:Just one question (Score:1, Informative)

    by Oily Tuna ( 542581 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:18PM (#2687310) Homepage Journal
    He was a hobbit - Sauron had only just heard of them and didn't realise they were a threat.
    Secondly, Hobbits are somewhat resistant to the ring's power.
  • by Malc ( 1751 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:25PM (#2687349)
    Um, just going through the first 10 or so of the main characters listed on IMDB for this film [imdb.com], you might like to reconsider:

    Elijah Wood - American
    Ian McKellen - British
    Viggo Mortensen - American
    Sean Astin - American
    Liv Tyler - American
    Cate Blanchett - Australian
    John Rhys-Davies - British
    Billy Boyd - British
    Dominic Monaghan - German
    Orlando Bloom - British
    Hugo Weaving - Nigerian/Australian
    Sean Bean - British
    Ian Holm - British
    Christopher Lee - British

    The characters aside, this is a very British film. The rights to the films were sold in 1969, but the Tolkien family/estate still has a lot of influence.
  • New world foods (Score:2, Informative)

    by foistboinder ( 99286 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:26PM (#2687357) Homepage Journal
    There are mistakes. Merry and Pippin cook tomatoes, and Tolkien had taken care when revising The Hobbit in 1966 to remove mention of tomatoes - an alien, New World fruit

    So are poatatoes and tobacco.

  • Lord of the Rings (Score:2, Informative)

    by blibbleblobble ( 526872 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:27PM (#2687369)

    Ash nazg durbatulúk,
    ash nazg gimbatul,
    ash nazg thrakatulûk
    agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

    Interesting that they've had some serious linguists working on the film though - here's [elvish.org] the discussion site for their languages.

    I gave up waiting for their merchandise, and just had the ring poem printed on some of my own-design T-shirts. Much cooler than having corporate-inspired stuff!

    I am very tempted by the replicas of Sting [bytheswordinc.com]. Unfortunately they weigh far too much to fight with, and they're really easy to dint. Oh well...

    maegnass ess nin, dagnir yngyl im (my name is Sting, I am slayer of spiders)

  • Lovely links (Score:2, Informative)

    by mip ( 534317 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:28PM (#2687379) Homepage
    This place [flyingmoose.org] has lots of interesting and, generally, light-hearted links to LOTR stuff. Check out the E-book [flyingmoose.org] especially.

    p.s I thought the Bashi film was terrible.

  • by Strange_Attractor ( 160407 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:37PM (#2687440) Homepage
    I didn't read the review myself (I hate when they give away the ending! ;-) ), but Entertainment Weekly [ew.com] gave it a grade of "A". Click here for the full review [ew.com].
  • Download the fonts! (Score:5, Informative)

    by PsiPsiStar ( 95676 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:38PM (#2687444)
    There's a page out there where you can download the font for the various tolkein languages.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~darrenv/tolkein.html

    It dosen't look quite as cool as the guilded cursive elven runes on all the merchandise, but what do you want for free?
  • by germinatoras ( 465782 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:49PM (#2687517) Homepage
    Install bos.games, then look in /usr/lib/fortune/fortunes.dat:

    "I cannot read the fiery letters," said Frodo in a quavering voice.

    "No," Said Gandalf, "but I can. The letters are Elvish, of course, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. They are lines of a verse long known in Elven-lore:

    "This Ring, no other, is made by the elves,

    Who'd pawn their own mother to grab it themselves.
    Ruler of creeper, mortal, and scallop,
    This is a sleeper that packs quite a wallop.
    The Power almighty rests in this Lone Ring.
    The Power, alrighty, for doing your Own Thing.
    If broken or busted, it cannot be remade.
    If found, send to Sorhed (with postage prepaid)."
  • Re:$300 Million (Score:3, Informative)

    by Rogerborg ( 306625 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:49PM (#2687518) Homepage
    • That's a 'bet the studio' cost. If they don't recover most of that cost early, then The Two Towers and Return of the King will be straight to video releases

    Tsk tsk. The studio has already secured the money. Big studio films are pre-sold to theatre chains years in advance, often just on the basis of one big name or even (gasp) the budget. Films with a budget of $20 million+ don't lose money any more, ever.

    The LotR trilogy will already have made its money back for the studio. The actual box office take/DVD/VCR/Book-of-the-film/collectible figures/card game of the film are just gravy.

  • by swdunlop ( 103066 ) <`moc.liamg' `ta' `polnudws'> on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:57PM (#2687564) Homepage
    For those of you who wargame means a table, miniatures and being at least somewhat social, as opposed to cranking up Command & Conquer, you'll be happy to know that Games Workshop has published a Lord of the Rings 'battle game'.

    Normally, I could give less than a damn for Games Workshop, authors of generally schlocky games that are remarkable mostly for their steal-your-wallet market strategy. ( Literally hundreds of expansions, miniatures, all at insane prices. ) But, I've been in need of something new, so I picked up the game for $40 at my local Barnes and Noble.

    That's the first shock. Wargames, at national retail outlets. The second shock, was that this game, unlike GW's other forays, has a certain measure of dignity to it. Gone are the gonzo tactics and arms race mentality of Warhammer 20,000.

    The second shock is the rulebook, itself. The book is easy to read, and provides everything a novice could ever need, including extensive information on how to paint plastic and metal miniatures, and pictures from the movie on every page. A spoiler warning, the scenarios are taken right from the movie's screenplay, it seems, so, if you don't want to know how the director visualized, say, the Battle at Roundtop, don't buy this game, yet.

    Of course, with such a low cost, there is a drawback.. The initial box set's miniatures are comprised of plastic. With a generous coat of painting, and delicate handling, however, they do quite well. I had wondered why the box was so light when I picked it up.

    From a more cynical point of view, I noticed the expansions for LoTR have already started coming out, done entirely in lead-free metal, at the usual insane costs. $40 for eight miniatures depicting the principal fellowship of the ring, for example. It is admirable seeing that Games Workshop has done an excellent job of selling the foundation of the game for cheap, potentially introducing new gamers to the classic wargame genre, but one has to be a little skeptic whether GW will burn them out with the followup.
  • Re:Changes etc... (Score:3, Informative)

    by zzyzx ( 15139 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @12:59PM (#2687577) Homepage
    "I am really disappointed to hear of the changes that have been made to a story that has stood on it's own for 50+ years. One of the things about the story is the depth that Tolkein gave to the characters, and the variety of characters (ie Tom Bombadil) "

    depth? Hmmmmmm different strokes I guess. 300 pages into FotR, I'm finding them all pretty much interchangable - in large degree again because no one ever says anything other than reciting 3 page long poems or giving dire warnings.

    As for Tom Bombadil, he was dropped for a reason. If he appeared on a movie screen, half of the audience would start laughing at him and the spell would be ruined.
  • by Chris Mattern ( 191822 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @01:09PM (#2687646)
    > Why has the Hobbit been ignored for so long,
    > whilst they are making LOTR for the second
    > time?

    Ignored? Rankin-Bass did the Hobbit back in
    1977. A travesty, granted, but no worse than
    Bakshi's LotR.

    Chris Mattern
  • by gowen ( 141411 ) <gwowen@gmail.com> on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @01:17PM (#2687705) Homepage Journal
    the Credit-where-credits-due department writes:
    That should be credited to the Harvard Lampoon's Bored Of The Rings [amazon.com], a sporadically funny parody from the late 1960s.
  • My Sort of Review (Score:5, Informative)

    by west ( 39918 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @01:28PM (#2687781)
    I was fortunate enough to see the movie in late November. (no spoilers follow)

    They did not do the impossible. The length and breadth of Fellowship of the Ring could not be compressed into a 3 hour movie. Nor could they manage to please of all us Tolkein fans, each of whom brings a mental picture of what Elves/Frodo/Gandalf/Dwarves/ Aragorn/etc. *really* looked/acted like.

    I will guarantee that each of you will walk away disappointed in *some* aspect of the movie. I also expect it to be a *different* piece of the movie for each person.

    What they managed was the remarkable. The movie works, and works well. They have successfully translated a book almost totally unsuited for a movie into a rivetting, astonishingly beautiful piece of cinema.

    In other words, keep expectations in check, and you should enjoy yourself immensely. Go, waiting to see what part they adulterated/messed up, and you risk letting your inevitable disappointment in one section overshadow the considerable success of the movie as a whole.

    As an aside, I suspect that there's a lot of (non-existent) advertising revenue in a site that allows each user to vote on the five things that they feel the film did wrong. I figure there'd be at least five hundred possible complaints. On the other hand, my comparison with other people's list have found an almost complete lack of unity about what the points are! (How could nobody else realize that they've totally destroyed the Shire scenes by making Bilbo's eyes the wrong color :-))
  • by OblongPlatypus ( 233746 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @01:31PM (#2687799)
    On the contrary, several of his published works (The Father Christmas Letters, Mr. Bliss, Roverandom) originated as stories told to his children. The Hobbit started, famously, on a blank page on one of his students' examination papers, but he read chapters of it to his children during its development. While it's hard to answer the question "did he intend it as a children's novel?", there's no question that he at least considered it appropriate for children.
  • by Salamander ( 33735 ) <jeff@ p l . a t y p.us> on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @02:59PM (#2688318) Homepage Journal
    John Ronald Raoul

    Reuel.

  • What Irony? (Score:3, Informative)

    by krmt ( 91422 ) <therefrmhere AT yahoo DOT com> on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @03:35PM (#2688545) Homepage
    This is so common, it's almost absurd to even bring it up. As Wilde said, "When artists get together they talk about money, when bankers get together they talk about art."

    Shakespeare wrote tons of plays in order to keep the audiences rolling in. It's nothing shocking that they bear a lot of similarities to each other, it made them quicker to write! Some people resorted to writing much quicker plays, but there's a reason he was so successful.

    Dickens was paid by the word. There's the reason why his books are so long and drawn out, he got rewarded to make them long.

    Bradbury wrote Farenheit 451 (in the basement of the building I'm in now no less!) and the whole of Martian Chronicles just to help pay the rent. Asimov wrote the Foundation and robot stories to pay for his tuition.

    Every single artist from the Renaissance had a patron who paid for the art.

    Does any of this get in the way of the fact that the art is great in and of itself. Long after the money has evaporated, the work is still there for us. That's part of what makes it great.
  • by gamgee5273 ( 410326 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @04:44PM (#2688965) Journal
    Hmmm...I couldn't disagree more. The Hobbit is a children's story, agreed, but it is a prelude of things to come in The Lord of the Rings. For example, the LOTR we know and love would be a different book without its predecessor. Bilbo, the dwarfs (or is it dwarves...I can never remember Tolkien's disclaimer in the front of Hobbit correctly...), Gandalf, Gollum, and much more of Middle-earth were first fleshed-out in Hobbit. If a reader were to pick up LOTR without reading Hobbit I suspect that they would have a difficult time orienting themselves into their surroundings. I just re-read all four books last year and was very happy and satisfied to see how all four still stand up in an adult reader's mind and still complement each other.

    I would argue that, while Tolkien probably didn't plan it, the four books help draw the reader into an unwilling adventure, much like Gandalf had to with Bilbo. Going from a children's book - with Bilbo's much less severe adventure - preps you for the detailed and difficult adventure Frodo must face. Children's books - good children's books - are often marked by a quality that makes them good reading for all ages. Thus, children's books by Dr. Suess, J.K. Rowling, Tolkien, etc. are still readable and enjoyable by adults. It's the same impulse that allows many Disney and Pixar movies (and even Sesame Street - remember H. Ross Parrot?) to be enjoyed by parents and their children, while Barney or The Teletubbies don't exist on that level and aren't designed to elicit emotion from parents while entertaining them, too.

    I think it is safe to say that Tolkien realized this when writing LOTR and realized that he had characters and a story that were strong in the first book, and that allowed him to build upon that and create a more "adult" book many years later for the readers of the "children's" book of years past.

    Basically, what I'm saying, is that the two go hand-in-hand, The Hobbit and LOTR. Just because one was written for children doesn't mean that it doesn't have a major part in the groundwork and preparation of the other.

  • Re:Lack of religion (Score:2, Informative)

    by ardmhacha ( 192482 ) on Tuesday December 11, 2001 @05:12PM (#2689154)
    This was probably quite deliberate on Tolkiens part. He was religous, Catholic, and because of his language knowledge was involved in the translation of The Jerusalem Bible [usask.ca] a modern Catholic translation of the Bible
    He was a friend of C.S. Lewis who included a lot of religous themes in his fantasy literature.
    There is an article on Tolkien, religion and Lewis here [rutgers.edu]

Those who can, do; those who can't, write. Those who can't write work for the Bell Labs Record.

Working...