Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!

Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
×
America Online Media Music

Winamp Down for the Count 815

Artifex writes "BetaNews is reporting that the doors at Nullsoft have been closed: 'The last members of the original Winamp team have said goodbye to AOL and the door has all but shut on the Nullsoft era, BetaNews has learned. Only a few employees remain to prop up the once-ubiquitous digital audio player with minor updates, but no further improvements to Winamp are expected.'" The Register also has a story.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Winamp Down for the Count

Comments Filter:
  • It's successor? (Score:2, Insightful)

    by romcabrera ( 699616 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:05AM (#10786833) Homepage
    Which one do you think will likely be its successor?
  • by dogas ( 312359 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:05AM (#10786836) Homepage
    Much like Netscape did when it was in its death throes, I think it would be great if they could open up the source and allow an online community to develop for it.

    Just think, in a year or so it could be the next iTunes killer..

  • by loconet ( 415875 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:06AM (#10786854) Homepage
    Here is to the greatest mp3 player ...

  • tis a sad day (Score:2, Insightful)

    by kc0re ( 739168 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:06AM (#10786858) Journal
    This is a sad day in free software history. Screw you AOL. (I know this will be redundant)... Winamp is one of the better free programs out there, I guess the few remaining will have to migrate to xmms.
  • Re:It's successor? (Score:5, Insightful)

    by Bricklets ( 703061 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:08AM (#10786873)
    Which one do you think will likely be its successor?

    Knowing what AOL did to their Netscape division, it'll probably be Windows Media Player.
  • Might as well... (Score:5, Insightful)

    by nordicfrost ( 118437 ) * on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:08AM (#10786878)
    Winamp was one of those Must Have Apps for Windows, and heralded much of the MP3 success. After that half-yearly re-install of Windows, WA was one of the first apps to go back in. So you could play MP3s while reinstalling Office etc.

    But after it went to version2, things became less rosy. Version 1.x worked a charm on my old 266/512mb peecee, but the 2.x series was dog slow and ridden with feature creep. I wonder if all the dumbass features in 2.x was something AOL mandated in the app. Rest of story: I went Linux, the Mac and never looked back.

    Kudos to the original Nullsoft team, you did a great job!
  • by millwall ( 622730 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:09AM (#10786887)
    I'm still using v.1 and it still "Kicks the Llama's Ass".
  • by garcia ( 6573 ) * on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:10AM (#10786900)
    Just think, in a year or so it could be the next iTunes killer..

    Nah. Nullsoft/AOL would have had to have a music store from the getgo in order to compete with the vast library that iTMS has amassed. iTunes is now synonomous with cheap music with a decent interface.

    Nullsoft/AOL would just not be able to compete at this late stage in the game. Others have tried but it seems that Apple is continuing to win that battle.

    Is this good? Maybe not. We certainly don't want a single viable option for music playing/purchasing but I really don't think that an open source project from Nullsoft/AOL will be able to compete *now*.
  • by WWWWolf ( 2428 ) <wwwwolf@iki.fi> on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:12AM (#10786920) Homepage

    "What's this ogg thing?" "Open it in Winamp! You have the full version, right?" "Uh, what are these s3m/mod/it files?" "Just open them in Winamp."

    Okay, so Winamp will still exist as a reanimated corpse, but the question remains - what am I going to tell people to use now to open these obscure geek music formats? It's not like iTunes would particularly help here, and Microsoft definitely won't care either...

  • by Anonymous Coward on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:13AM (#10786938)
    There's already a whole bunch of players out there. XMMS and especially Freeamp to name two. Why do you want to hack on Winamp especially?

    Freeamp could have been the best MP3 player bar none had the current Zinf developers had the slighest ability and at least the slighest clue.
  • by martingunnarsson ( 590268 ) * <martin&snarl-up,com> on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:18AM (#10786987) Homepage
    First, there might be licensed stuff in the Winamp source, codecs for different fileformats or whatnot.
    Second, iTunes is one if the good guys, we don't wanna kill that!
  • Re:Oh no! (Score:5, Insightful)

    by lumpenprole ( 114780 ) <lumpenprole@@@gmail...com> on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:19AM (#10786999) Homepage Journal
    Foobar 2000.

    Tried it once, never looked back. And I was a huge Winamp fan.

    http://www.foobar2000.org/
  • by julesh ( 229690 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:19AM (#10787002)
    Just tell 'em to use winamp. It's not like it'll need any new features to continue doing its job. And it has a well defined plugin interface, just in case any are required.
  • Re:sweet (Score:4, Insightful)

    by Anonymous Coward on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:22AM (#10787020)
    I think it's just you. What the hell does that even mean, it needs to move forward? It plays music files, it lets you choose them and fast forward them. What the hell else do you need? A built-in web browser and tax advisor?
    Ridiculous. Or, in /. speak, rediculous.
  • Re:It's successor? (Score:2, Insightful)

    by mallumax ( 712655 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:26AM (#10787065) Homepage
    Winamp 2.9 series has every feature an mp3 player should have and plethora of plugins available. So what more do u need ? Video ?? get 5 series.Use the classic skin for more performance. I can't think of any feature that is not available (a plugin exists for any feature i can think of ) I mean doesthis really matter as long as winamp work on all windows verions.
  • by Anonymous Custard ( 587661 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:28AM (#10787087) Homepage Journal
    Looking back, I don't know how I got along with WinAmp's retarded playlist system. It was literally just a list of however many hundreds or thousands of MP3's you had. iTunes was much better in terms of organizing your music.
  • Re:It's successor? (Score:5, Insightful)

    by kalidasa ( 577403 ) * on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:31AM (#10787127) Journal
    Actually, I was just thinking that: as they once called the Ottoman Empire a prison of nations, they should call AOL a cemetary of independent software projects.
  • Never. (Score:2, Insightful)

    by Ride-My-Rocket ( 96935 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:33AM (#10787141) Homepage
    So when are they releasing the source code?

    The same time they release the source code to Netscape.
  • Re:Never. (Score:2, Insightful)

    by Dizzle ( 781717 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:35AM (#10787164) Journal
    Didn't they... do that already? ie (no, not IE), Mozilla?
  • Sad but good. (Score:1, Insightful)

    by Puchku ( 615680 ) <Email&adityanag,com> on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:36AM (#10787168) Homepage
    For many of us, Winamp has always been THE music player. I remember using winamp years ago and being impressed with it. I have gone from a 486 DX at 90 Mhz to an Athlon at 2 Ghz, and Winamp is one of the very few programs that have stayed with me. And I don't mean the monstrosity that was ver 3 or the new bells and whistles ver 5. I still use 2.9 and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Winamp/Nullsoft has always been a product/company that has been different. Concentrating more on ease of use and quality, rather than marketing, the original winamp grew to such a size that Justin's dad left his job as a lawyer just to keep up with the success his son's program. Like many of you guys, I was saddened the day AOL bought Nullsoft/Winamp. Just like the purchase of Hotmail by Microsoft, it somehow semmed to become less acessible. Like the next door garage band becoming big stars, both winamp and hotmail started to lose their identity and be subsumed into the corporate identities of their respective parents. Winamp did manage to keep a separate identity to some extent ( unlike Hotmail..) but it was the beginning of the end. A few hiccups along the road, like Gnutella and WASTE, but it was clearly doomed. However, the flip side is that a lot of smart coders are free to code again, the way THEY want... Unfortunately, they aren't 16 anymore, and the world no longer seems like a place that can be conquered... I hope that some of them retain the enthusiasm and freshness of the early years of winamp.. so to end.. Alas, poor Winamp, I knew him well.. (Unlike Shakespear, whom I obvously don't know well!!)
  • Re:sweet (Score:5, Insightful)

    by TravisWatkins ( 746905 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:38AM (#10787215) Homepage
    Because then you might as well just use MPlayer?
  • Re:It's successor? (Score:5, Insightful)

    by Number6.2 ( 71553 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:39AM (#10787223) Homepage Journal
    Just remember: Corporate America isn't about *you*. It's about enhancing "value" to "shareholders".

    This means that if they have to make 1000 employees miserable by laying them off for a quarter (or eight) so the financials look rosy for Wall Street, they'll do it.

    And if they have to gobble up a superior technology as a bargaining chip, they'll do it.

    Corporate America is the ultimate communal reptilian brain: cold, efficient, ruthless, amoral, it WILL achieve it's goals, no matter who it has to hurt. Things are very black and white in Corporate America: profit/good loss/bad.

    Open Source, on the other hand, is very mamillian: there are others "like it", there's a *community*. Altruism actually has a place in this scheme.

    And it drives the lizards crazy. If one lizard attacks another lizard, no other lizard intervenes. If a lizard attacks a mamal, all of the mamal's kin come down on that lizard like, well, a pack of wild animals.

    Hence...the antipithy between Corporate America and Open Source.

    This is a metaphore, to be sure: some businesses "get it". These are the businesses that can plan further than a quarter ahead at a time, or are big enough that they can say "screw the Street" and take a short term hit (IBM?)

    Companies are like lizards, they are always prey to bigger lizards.

    Open Source is like a herd of (your favorite heard animal here). They can only be taken down by a BIG lizard or another pack based life form.

    enough

    cheers
    6.2
  • Re:foobar (Score:2, Insightful)

    by Pleione ( 825378 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:45AM (#10787293)
    There is a freeform skin plugin for foobar. I forget the name of it since I like my custom formatting strings. Check around on Hydrogen Audio.
  • Re:It's successor? (Score:4, Insightful)

    by gordo3000 ( 785698 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:52AM (#10787383)
    decent try, but real bad example. In most pack animals, the smallest and weakest are left to die when then chase is put on by the predator(your lizard if you want). There are very few mamalian species that rush to the rescue and try to fend off the attack, but their are a few(so I guess it works sometimes).

    a good example is an elephant herd, in which the elders will protect the children from attack and if a parent is killed, the young are still cared for by others. This is not the norm though.

    on the other hand, isn't everything you described what a profit maximizing business is about. take something, give it value for long enough to profit, and always reevaluate the prodcut to see if its still worth it to you. It could very well be that those employees are now out of work, but if their work wasn't profitable, there is no valid reason to keep them. Obviously AOL does not feel the work of Nullsoft to be profitable.

    Of course, you could not blame AOL for failed companies and blame the greed of the head's of those companies who sold out to AOL rather than keep doing a good thing. You know, even if bill gates walks up to me and offers me a billion dollars for something I have, there is no force on this planet that forces the sale.
  • by damiam ( 409504 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:52AM (#10787388)
    iTunes the program != iTMS.
  • Re:I guess... (Score:3, Insightful)

    by BiggyP ( 466507 ) <<philh> <at> <theopencd.org>> on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:54AM (#10787407) Homepage Journal
    you'd likely be much better off picking up something like BMP [freshmeat.net] to use for the port since GTK2 is far better than 1.x on win32.
  • Re:Woah! (Score:3, Insightful)

    by WalksOnDirt ( 704461 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:55AM (#10787421)
    You LIKED Winamp 3?

    I and everyone else I've heard from thought Winamp 3 was much worse than Winamp 2. I tried 3 and quickly went back to 2.

    Winamp 5 fixed most of the problems with Winamp 3. The stuff you have to pay for in Winamp 5 is strictly optional and for convenience, you could always use Lame and EAC to do at least as good a job with a little more work.
  • Cui bono? (Score:5, Insightful)

    by revscat ( 35618 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @10:59AM (#10787462) Journal
    Why would Google do any of those things? WA never made a dime for AOL, and in that respect was a poor investment. I'd say the same thing if Google were to do what you suggested. Unless they can make money off of it, it wouldn't be worth their time.

    Open sourcing it would be much better.

  • by slcdb ( 317433 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @11:00AM (#10787491) Homepage
    Pay a hundred-million bucks for a company with a killer app and a helluva group of innovative engineers. Now that you own the company, make sure all those engineers know you are in charge by stifling the creative process. Strangle that som'bitch til' it's dead; I mean, until there is virtually NO innovation left. Revoke all of the "Next Big Things" that the engineers create. Casually compel the founder and creative genius to leave the company while you're at it. Persevere until all development -- whether it's creative development, or even just suck-ass development -- has all but ceased.

    Voila! You've just shown the world, in textbook fashion, how to flush $100m down the toilet. Not to mention the fumbling of a precious opportunity.
  • Re:Woah! (Score:3, Insightful)

    by LWATCDR ( 28044 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @11:01AM (#10787492) Homepage Journal
    Well if Google wants to stray from it's core business this could be a good idea. Buy nulsoft and turn winamp into an Itunes killer. Buy Rio and and intergrate there players into the whole Google Music Store. Or they could just keep doing what they do and making money.
  • A Winamp Tale (Score:5, Insightful)

    by poena.dare ( 306891 ) on Thursday November 11, 2004 @11:01AM (#10787498)
    So I had heard about this kewl file format called MP3 and I needed a player. I looked around and found Winamp for $10...