Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook

Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
×
Media Software Linux

LinuxWorld Editorial Machinations 498

James Turner writes "The editors of LinuxWorld Magazine have been fighting a quiet war with the publishers (Sys-Con Media) for half a year, trying to get hack-journalist Maureen O'Gara purged from their site. Well, with O'Gara's recent vile attack on Pamela Jones (which I won't give any more free publicity by linking to), enough is finally enough. In my latest blog, I've basically told Sys-Con that it's either her or me. I suspect, given the amount of page views O'Gara's tripe brings to the Sys-Con sites, that they'll choose her." James isn't the only one either.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

LinuxWorld Editorial Machinations

Comments Filter:
  • by zogger ( 617870 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @09:17AM (#12476392) Homepage Journal
    ...to have another job lined up first before this sort of "line in the sand" comment to your employer. Of course this being the net, you and your other disgruntled editors can just start your own zine pretty easily.
  • by Anonymous Coward on Monday May 09, 2005 @09:22AM (#12476442)

    My memory may be failing me, but if I recall correctly, wasn't there an issue about LinuxWorld displaying advertisements for Microsoft products, or more specifically the infamous Microsoft Get the Facts [microsoft.com] campaign, promoting Windows Server System 2003 as a better alternative to the leader of the Linux enterprise distributions, Red Hat Enterprise Linux? (Whether or not this is true is not the issue, and is another discussion for another thread.) As I say, I am not sure if I recall the event correctly.

  • O'Gara Needs to Go (Score:5, Interesting)

    by jcm ( 4767 ) * on Monday May 09, 2005 @09:24AM (#12476454) Homepage
    I am amazed that Sys-Con would continue to allow Maureen O'Gara to write. They must be desperate for the controversy that her articles cause, because I really see no value in them after reading a couple of them this morning. The worst article [sys-con.com] , and the one in question, tries to paint quite the negative picture of Pamela Jones' sanity and lifestyle. Instead it leaves me questioning O'Gara's ethics and sanity. Quite the smear campaign on the part of O'Gara.

    So, Pamela Jones could perhaps be a 61-year old Jehovah's Witness who lives in a not so nice apartment. What does that have to do with anything? O'Gara finishes the article hinting that perhaps it is all stolen identity, though she didn't present a news story that would lead you to that conclusion.

    I spent the first 23 years of my life as a Jehovah's Witness. I do not believe I am scarred in anyway because of it. If anything, I think I have a lot more respect for my fellow human beings and in general have a deep desire to be a good person. Sure the methodology of learning about the religion is a bit like brainwashing, but they have their religious beliefs like most religions. They just are more strict about the belief and the punishment if one does constantly violates them. If you are going to have faith, I think most religious people would appreciate the JW's strictness.

    Did the religion make me paranoid? No. Does it take a lot of your time? Yes, but if you are going to devote your life to being religious then it probably should take a lot of time. Personally I appreciated science too much to put so much faith in religion. I still believe that if any religion has it right though, it is probably the JW's. They read the bible and do what it says. They refuse to pick up arms against another human, they punish sinners through disfellowshipping (total cut off until they have repented of their sins), and they make worship the primary thing in their life not allowing anything else to come first. There are obviously more devoted JW's than others, but that is true of any religion.

    So, after reading the crap that passes for journalism from O'Gara, I personally can't wait to see her unemployed. Perhaps she can go get a job at the National Inquirer.
  • Re:Blog?? (Score:3, Interesting)

    by radish ( 98371 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @09:29AM (#12476505) Homepage
    I'm sure they already know all about his issues with them. This is making it public, putthing THEM on the spot for their behaviour. As he says, he's making it clear to the community at large that he doesn't want to be associated with them/her. How better to do that than in public?
  • Re:Blog?? (Score:1, Interesting)

    by goldspider ( 445116 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @09:30AM (#12476516) Homepage
    I concur.

    If I were the hiring type, I'd certainly be less inclined to hire somebody that drags personal internal squabbles into a public cat fight.

    While O'Gara's 'article' was very wanting of professionalism, this public griping isn't much better.
  • by John Hasler ( 414242 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @09:35AM (#12476549) Homepage
    > It seems likely that Maureen O'Gara (or someone)
    > employed a private detective to investigate
    > Pamela Jones.

    It seems much more likely that O'Gara made the whole thing up. There is no reason to believe that a single word of it is true.
  • by rebill ( 87977 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @09:40AM (#12476595) Journal

    WHAS Radio (and Clear Channel Entertainment) fired [64.233.161.104] John Ziegler a few years ago because of similar personal attacks against a fellow "personality".

    Up until that point, his talk-show was the highest rated program in the market, and he was getting a pass on a lot of his attitute because he did bring in the advertising money.

    But he also went too far, and ultimately got punished for it.

    So, here's how we help get rid of Ms. O'Gara:

    Check the local bookstores and supermarket magazine racks. For any company that carries this magazine - write them a letter of COMPLAIN about Ms. O'Gara.

  • Re:Shame (Score:5, Interesting)

    by hal9000(jr) ( 316943 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @09:42AM (#12476621)
    RTFA. The editors are aparently trying to get rid of O'Gara. The problem is that their management seems to make the final decision, which is too bad.

    You can help by sending emails to the publisher asking for her removal and drop your subscription and don't visit the site if they don't. Remember, if the publisher is keeping her around because she is driving dollars, you and the linux community can fire back by walking away with those dollars.
  • by Anonymous Coward on Monday May 09, 2005 @10:05AM (#12476842)

    It's quite simple: Darl McBride and SCOX hired a PI, which then fed O'Gara. You just have to listen to that last bizarro-phone conference with SCOX to see that this is no paranoid delusion.

  • by natet ( 158905 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @10:07AM (#12476861)
    This is the big expose' that Darl promised? This is it? Give me a break. If SCO thought that this was a big deal, their demise can't be far off. I also wonder what she is insinuating when she mentions that PJ's sons business went belly up about the time Groklaw started. She tries to make it sound real sinister.

    Here's a good bit too:

    Now, according to one of Pamela's neighbors and fellow Jehovah's Witness, being a Jehovah's Witness is pretty much a full-time job in and of itself. Witnesses also don't usually get involved in worldly affairs.
    Wow, nice bit of research there Maureen. You found the key to the whole mistery that is PJ... Pulease! I have known several JW's in my life time, and just like any other religion, some feel like it is their whole life, and others feel that they can best help the church by living a good life and bein an example to others.
  • by argoff ( 142580 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @10:45AM (#12477306)
    I think it's worth mentioning here that the copyright system punishes and rewards in such a way that that promotes hype over substance. I think it's unfair to "blame society", while at the same time holding this system of punishment and reward in place. In a copyright society, it is always the information that turns the most heads that gets the most money, where in a non copyright world the information that has the most value is rewarded the most.

    Of cource I know people would say, well Linux Journal is copyrighted too, to which I would respond - most people who are subscribing would do so as a sign of support for the authors and not because they are the cheaper that the competitors. Besides, I don't know of anything in that publication that couldn't be gotten online anyhow, but people still support it.
  • by Herschel Cohen ( 568 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @10:46AM (#12477330) Journal
    I used to purchase a number of journals off the shelf just to check their content, quality, etc. The best were then turned into subscriptions. However, it was my distinct impression that Linux World was just along for the ride for the cash. Their staff writers that did not even know the meaning of free software. In their reviews of products they equated free with no cost.

    Perhaps a year ago - I was quite surprised to even find them still publishing, though they seemed a bit higher quality than previously I still have no urge to read their content. This incident just confirms my gut estimation of those backing the publication: I am glad they got minimal support from me.
  • Shameful (Score:3, Interesting)

    by __aamkky7574 ( 654183 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @10:49AM (#12477359)
    Hmm. Whichever side of the argument you come from, that article was shameful rubbish. It's the kind of thing that even a freshman gossip magazine would baulk at publishing (and I know, I edited one once). I've no problem with righteous vitriol against opponents, but was just grubby stalking.

    P.
  • by Kiaser Zohsay ( 20134 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @10:53AM (#12477413)
    PJ's writing does tend to have a bit of that paranoic edge, though.. as this post shows.

    It's not paranoia if the really are out to get you, as O'Gara's "article" shows.
  • by jonabbey ( 2498 ) * <jonabbey@ganymeta.org> on Monday May 09, 2005 @11:05AM (#12477513) Homepage
    True, but PJ has had that thread in her writing for quite awhile now on her site.

    I read PJ and enjoy her analyses, and I bear her no ill will. Some of the things she puts into her writings have a paranoiac/persecuted edge that has struck me as a bit odd, though.

    Now, there's no doubt that Maureen O'Gara has gone over the edge..
  • by Pete ( 2228 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @11:10AM (#12477554)
    If you back them into a corner, then everybody loses. Your boss/company in order to save face will be forced to maintain its position. You will have burned bridges and look like an extremist in your leaving.

    Nothing against you personally, willCode4Beer.com, but it really puzzles me sometimes why people can be so adamant on the "don't burn bridges" line. It was interesting to read this article [slashdot.org] a day or so ago and see various posts going "ohgodohgodohgod whateveryoudoDON'T BURN YOUR BRIDGES!!!" (actually, now I look again, there were a few that didn't [slashdot.org])

    Maybe it's just me, but I reckon that there's nothing wrong with burning a few bridges every now and then. Hell, nuke the damn bridge, leave the area a smoking radioactive wasteland.

    Sometimes you need to say that you've had enough and you just don't give a damn about the bridges anymore. :-)

  • by Anonymous Coward on Monday May 09, 2005 @11:34AM (#12477789)
    I respect the JW's because of how they start with a premiss (in this case that the bible is the literal word of God) and follow it through to its logical conclusion, no matter what the cost.

    It happens that, as a Catholic, I don't accept their premisses. I do not believe that the bible is the sole source of knowledge about God and his revelation. Remember that the first generations of Christians didn't even have a New Testament. But they did have a Church, which is the body of Christ. As Jesus promised, He would be "with us until the end of the world".

    So the Church, guided by the Holy Spirit, is as important an instrument in understanding God's revelation as the bible is.

    Still, I wish more Catholics would be as committed to their faith most JWs are, and follow it through to its logical conclusion.

  • by Anonymous Coward on Monday May 09, 2005 @11:59AM (#12478004)
    I am Quatermass who fairly regularly posts comments on Groklaw. I do not usually post on Slashdot, but I have a few words to say about Ms. O'Gara's article.

    I do not know whether the "facts" alleged in Ms. O'Gara's article are correct or not, and whether or not she (or whoever supplied her the information) is describing the correct PJ or not.

    For the sake of argument, in this post, I will assume that Ms. O'Gara is describing the correct PJ (if she did not, that makes her O'Gara's article even worse in my view).

    If you boil down Ms. O'Gara's article to the essentials the "facts" alleged about PJ are this:

    1. Ms. O'Gara doesn't like PJ's residence

    2. Ms. O'Gara doesn't like PJ's car

    3. Ms. O'Gara doesn't like the locks on PJ's apartment (Ms O'Gara then criticises PJ for these locks, but then goes on to also criticise PJ for having strange men apparently trying to break into her apartment - rather an odd and self-contradictory position don't you think?)

    4. Ms. O'Gara alleges that PJ has been involved in business with her son.

    5. Ms. O'Gara alleges that PJ has a fear of being stalked, and criticizes her for this (at the same time PJ tells us that PJ is being pursued if not stalked by Ms. O'Gara herself, as well as two strange men apparently trying to break into PJ's apartment - again, another odd and self-contradictory position, don't you think?)

    6. Ms. O'Gara says PJ is older than Ms. O'Gara thought. (Well more fool you O'Gara, PJ never claimed to be any particular age, so who cares what O'Gara thought PJ's age was?)

    7. Ms. O'Gara implies criticism of PJ's religious affiliation. (so what? Who cares what PJ's religion is)

    8. Ms. O'Gara notes that PJ lives within a few miles of IBM's headquarters (without mentioning so do about a million or more other people too)

    9. Ms O'Gara alleges that PJ has a brother with an expensive apartment.

    10. Ms O'Gara says she questioned PJ's mother and didn't get clear answers. (So what?). I'd also point out that if PJ is 61, then PJ's mother must be in her 80s or 90s

    Well, none of the above, have anything at all to do with the validity or otherwise of PJ's writing. PJ's writing stands for itself, and everybody should judge it on that basis.

    The majority of the above, when striped of implied criticism are not particularly unusual - and not one is divergent with any fact that PJ has told us about herself.

    The attack on PJ's age, car, religion, housing and brother, are purely gratutious personal attacks. All play to the lowest common denominator and people's prejudice. I really do not care what O'Gara thinks of PJ's car or house.

    The self-contradictions in O'Gara's article abound, some of which are noted above.

    I note that somebody else on Slashdot has alleged that O'Gara's information comes from SCO's private detectives seeking PJ. I do not know if this allegation is true or not.

    I would note however the following:

    1. In January 2003, O'Gara published an article about SCO's plans to monetize their IP allegedly in Linux. This was two months before SCO sued IBM. This was six months before SCO announced their Linux IP licensing program. This was long before SCO had made any public statements about their plans for licensing Linux, or alleged infringements in Linux. So where did O'Gara get this information from?

    2. On September 18th O'Gara published an article claiming that SCO would sue IBM for a fraud claim, in Monterey, by putting SVR4 code (as opposed to SVR3 code) into AIX5L. [Maureen O'Gara misnames the UNIX versions in her article).

    At the time that this was written, the only court document that mentioned fraud, and the AIX 5L was *sealed*, SCO's supplemental memorandum on discovery. This was filed with the court, without permission apparently in August, and properly filed on 13 September 2004.

    We have not seen this document, but we know that it exists, because IBM's reply memo has recently been unseale
  • by doublem ( 118724 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @12:02PM (#12478028) Homepage Journal
    To: sales@barracudanetworks.com, press@barracudanetworks.com
    Date: May 9, 2005 11:10 AM
    Subject: boycott of your products due to SYS-CON

    I'm writing to inform you I am engaging in a personal boycott of all your publications due to your affiliation Maureen O'Gara, who is
    currently stalking the Groklaw author Pamela Jones.

    O'Gara's most recent "article" consisted of personal information about Ms. Jones, including her home address and disparaging comments about
    Ms. Jones' living conditions.

    The article contained a number of offensive comments about the Jehovah Witnesses, under the guise of "accusing" Ms. Jones of being one.

    I will not purchase any products or services from any firms who do business with SYS-CON while a paranoid, delusional pseudo journalist such as Maureen O'Gara remains on your payroll.

    I am writing your advertisers to inform them of this decision, so they are aware that their use of your site for advertising purposes is
    costing them business.

    From: Michael Perone
    To: *********
    Date: May 9, 2005 11:24 AM
    Subject: RE: boycott of your products due to SYS-CON

    Michael Perone
    Call me 650 292 1523

    To: Michael Perone
    Date: May 9, 2005 11:42 AM

    I'm afraid I can't call you during the day today, as I am at work and need to keep my line available for client calls.

    I have noting against Barracuda Networks aside from your advertising with a company that employs a stalker disguising herself as a journalist.

    You can see a copy of the article in question at
    http://www.clientservernews.com/ [clientservernews.com]

    The above link does not contain the photographs of the home of Pamela Jones that ran in other online publications running the article.

    So long as Maureen O'Gara is employed by SYS-CON, I will not purchase any products from any company that advertises on their sites or in their publications. If SYS-CON fires Maureen O'Gara or a company ceases advertising with SYS-CON sites and publications, then I would have no reason to avoid their products.

    From: Michael Perone
    To: ***********
    Date: May 9, 2005 11:46 AM

    We don't emplyy this person according to our records.

    To: Michael Perone
    Date: May 9, 2005 11:52 AM

    I know you don't employ Maureen O'Gara, however, you advertise on web sites owned and operated by SYS-CON, who does employ her. So long as your advertisements run on SYS-CON owned sites, and Maureen O'Gara remains a SYS-CON employee, then I will not purchase your products.

    This is nothing personal, I'm informing all of the companies that advertise on SYS-CON sites of the same thing.

    Matthew Miller
  • You'll Like This Bit (Score:5, Interesting)

    by Master of Transhuman ( 597628 ) on Monday May 09, 2005 @12:16PM (#12478189) Homepage

    After the "bozo sues open source" story last week from O'Gara, I sent an email to SugarCRM, whose ad was running next to the story. For those not in the know, SugarCRM is an open source CRM suite that is highly regarded in the CRM market. I figured they might like to know that they were advertising in a journal that is constantly attacking open source while claiming to be about "Linux Business News".

    Well, their marketing person got back to me and said they don't run ads on Linux Business News - only with Sys-con's LinuxWorld site.

    So I wrote back explaining that I just checked and the ad was right there, and described the ad.

    She got back to me saying that they didn't even KNOW the ad was running on that site, as they only had a contract with Sys-con to run on LinuxWorld - and she would be checking their ad rep at Sys-con about it.

    So it looks like Linux Business News is running ads unbeknownst to the companies involved (either that or SugarCRM never understood their contract). I find that somewhat bizarre. Is there some business benefit to LBN running ads without the knowledge of the companies involved?

  • by Anonymous Coward on Monday May 09, 2005 @03:56PM (#12480606)
    Quartermass wrote:

    1. In January 2003, O'Gara published an article about SCO's plans to monetize their IP allegedly in Linux. This was two months before SCO sued IBM. This was six months before SCO announced their Linux IP licensing program. This was long before SCO had made any public statements about their plans for licensing Linux, or alleged infringements in Linux. So where did O'Gara get this information from?

    Securities laws prohibit purchases and sales of securities on the basis of material non-public information. The sales of SCOX stock by SCOX insiders over the past 2+ years have been pursuant to so-called "10b5-1 plans" -- basically, pursuant to SEC Rule 10b5-1, a purchase or sale is _not_ deemed to be on the basis of material non-public if it is made pursuant to a plan entered into before the person involved possessed material non-public information. The idea is that an executive could adopt a plan to sell his holdings over time (say, 10,000 shares per month, every month) and not have the validity of the sales questioned as a result of the subsequent acquisition of material non-public information. If you look at many of the "Form 4" documents filed by SCOX insiders, which describe sales of securities, they state that they were made pursuant 10b5-1 plans (the first I saw was a Robert C. Bench filing of March 12, 2003). I believe (though I cannot find the reference right now) that SCOX has stated that the plans were adopted in February 2003, shortly before they "discovered" the alleged IP violations and engaged the Boies lawfirm -- the lawsuit itself was announced around March 7, 2003. If MOG published information suggesting SCOX intended to embark on the IBM and related lawsuits in Jan 03, any Feb 03 10b5-1 plans would have been adopted "too late" to immunize SCOX insiders against charges that they adopted such plans while in possession of material non-public information.

He has not acquired a fortune; the fortune has acquired him. -- Bion

Working...