This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Rebuilding New Orleans With Science

Comments Filter:
  • by Janek Kozicki ( 722688 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @04:31PM (#13493066) Journal
    It's about how the government ignored the disaster in Orlean. Is it all true?

    Subject: Re: [Chapter-delegates] Condolences from Indonesia
    Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:07:30 -0400
    From: Gene Gaines
    To: Irwan Effendi

    On Sunday, September 4, 2005, 9:49:03 AM, Irwan wrote:

    > To the people of the United States

    > We share your loss and grieve over the disaster in New Orleans.
    > As it is still fresh in our memory what happened earlier in Aceh, we
    > understand what kind of sadness and sorrow you are going through, therefore
    > if there is anything we can do to help, please do not hesitate to let us
    > know.
    > We suggest that all of us must work to find preventive solutions so that in
    > the future, tragedies such as these can be avoided.

    > On behalf of Indonesian members

    > Irwan Effendi - secretary

    Irwan,

    Thank you so much for your thoughts.

    Much appreciated.

    I have thought long and hard about my statement below, but these
    things need to be said. Just as many people in the U.S. were
    interested in what really happened in Aceh, Malaysia, Sri Lanka,
    etc. with the tsunami, I believe many people in other countries
    are interested in what is happening with our disaster along the
    U.S. Gulf Coast. What is happening in New Orleans screams out to
    exposed for all to see.

    A personal note. I am now living near Washington DC, but was
    born and spent much of my early life in New Orleans. My father
    is buried in New Orleans. So many of my boyhood friends have old
    family homes along the Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama coast
    lines. All gone now.

    Many people here will be working to assist the disaster victims.

    But it must be stated that this hurricane caused two disasters.
    Two disasters, very different, and must be dealt with in very
    different ways. This is painful and embarrassing, but some facts
    about the two disasters need to be said.

    1) The hurricane missed New Orleans, passing just to the east,
    with strength to inflict significant but not catastrophic
    damage in the city. It was the breaks in the levees around
    New Orleans that caused the great tragedy there. Could the
    levee breaks and subsequent flooding have been prevented?
    Yes. But soon after the present Bush administration took
    power, ongoing work on the levees, already in progress, was
    stopped by cutting the funding. Several new projects,
    critical to maintaining the integrity of the levees, were
    halted. Local officials, Louisiana elected officials to our
    national Congress, all raised their voices in protest of
    these cuts. In speech after speech and newspaper article
    after article, strong voices were raised, warning that the
    levee maintenance work was critical, and would open the city
    to flooding by a hurricane if not done. The levee work was
    not restarted. Why? Statements were made as to why the funds
    were needed elsewhere: (a) the coming war in Iraq (big U.S.
    firms can collect US$30,000 per month per employee, charge
    US$1,000 a day to feed soldiers) and (b) tax cuts for the
    most wealthy Americans.

    I was born in Charity Hospital in New Orleans, an excellent
    hospital staffed by two univer
  • Hypocracy of the NYT (Score:3, Informative)

    by amightywind ( 691887 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @04:33PM (#13493087) Journal

    It is interesting that the NYT is now dispensing advice on how to fix flood control problems in New Orleans when they have a long record [foxnews.com] of recommending against improvements. They will argue all sides of an issue if it suits their political agenda, but they have no credibility.

  • Re:Learn from nature (Score:4, Informative)

    by VJ42 ( 860241 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @04:37PM (#13493123)
    Is it time to learn from the nature and build some artificial barrier islands, rather than further changing the face of the earth?

    Firstly how is building artificial islands not "hanging the face of the earth", secondly, learning from us here in Europe isn't a bad thing, building flood gates and better costal defence like those in london and the Netherlands is worth it in the long run. From TFA:
    "[the Netherlands] erected a futuristic system of coastal defenses that is admired around the world today as one of the best barriers against the sea's fury - one that could withstand the kind of storm that happens only once in 10,000 years."

    it cost them $8bn, but it's lased over 50 years and counting, and they havn't suffered any New Orleans type situation. Pay the money now to invest in the future of your country. Generations will thank you for it
  • by interiot ( 50685 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @04:48PM (#13493237) Homepage
    For what it's worth, 50 years ago, the Army Corps of Engineers had to do quite a bit of work [wikipedia.org] to keep the Mississippi River flowing past New Orleans. If they would have let Mississippi move to the west, New Orleans would have dwindled economically, and shipping would have moved over to the new branch of the Mississippi. I don't know if New New Orleans would have been terribly much safer. It would still probably be stuck in a bayou, though it at least wouldn't have been stuck between the river and Lake Ponchartrain.
  • by Anonymous Coward on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @05:06PM (#13493435)
    I just read the blurb and it's totally unconvincing. the NYT was against the recent highway and energy bills because they're piles of waste, nto because of any one project involved.

    Fox News has such a hard-on for the NYT it's unbelievable. When they put together any kind of reporting operation instead of 4 hours of loudmouthed opinion on prime time I'll think about taking them seriously.
  • Re:Got To Go There (Score:5, Informative)

    by Gorath99 ( 746654 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @05:11PM (#13493482)
    It wasn't a ship-shaped hole. It was a 15 meter (50 feet) breach that could not be filled with sandbags, so a ship was commandeered and stranded length-wise next to the breach, thereby mostly plugging it. Sandbags completed the job.

    Details can be found here [laagste.nl]. It's in Dutch, but there are lots of pictures.
  • Re:Got To Go There (Score:1, Informative)

    by Anonymous Coward on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @05:11PM (#13493484)
    It's not an urban legend. The hole was 15meters wide and the ship was 18meters long. They moved the bow of the ship against the dike on one end of the hole and then they let the back of the ship turn against the dike at the other end of the hole, helped by the outflowing water. They reinforced the whole thing sandbags. This will work as long as the ship is longer than the hole is wide :-)

    That story about that little boy on the other hand is a load of BS. but hey, its good for tourism.
  • Re:Learn from nature (Score:2, Informative)

    by mysterystevenson ( 859520 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @05:13PM (#13493504) Homepage Journal
    Learning from nature is something I agree with 100%. Water tends to return to old pathways after having been re-routed time and time again. This has to due with the path of least resistence and the nature of gravity. One failure in the man made alteration is all it takes.

          It would also be wise to learn from NASA in it's systems designs and applications of triple redundancy in every system involved. Failures occurred here in several areas and there was not sufficient redundancy built into the plan to handle anything.

              There will now be toxic matter in the soil and drainage systems / structures, etcetera of the city, with potential of poisonous releases with every rain, unless massive areas of the landform are sealed with heavy barriers such as concrete to prevent water intrusion below. This may cause the need thereafter to raise many areas of the city above sea level with multiple partitioning of the city.The costs would be enormous.

          Right now we are pumping tremendous amounts of poison out of the city and while much of the Gulf Coast depends on fishing , this may end soon, if we create a far worse disaster, by our unthoughtfull nonconsideration of nature now. Let us hope the Gulf of Mexico does not become a poisonous Dead Zone of Toxic fumes that will spread over Florida, Mississippi, Louisianna, Texas, and Alabama, whereas we used to get healthfull oxygen from the Gulf.
  • by Anonymous Coward on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @05:28PM (#13493661)
    typical dork from the US?

    1) Many cities are below sealevel. Large parts of Holland are, for example.

    2) people often live in areas that have floods, quakes, tornadoes, volcanoes, huricanes, tsunamies. Many of these places are time bombs. But people live there for a reason. You'd be surprised at how boring real save places are.

    3) if terrorist want to get you, they get you anyway.

    4)i seriously doubt that.
  • Re:Learn from nature (Score:3, Informative)

    by nietsch ( 112711 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @06:05PM (#13494005) Homepage Journal
    apart from the rethoric and aversion against BabyBush, they have some point about the environmental aspects of big floodgates. The delta works in the netherlands have turned one sea-arm into a freshwater lake. The westerschelde floodgates were supposed to leave the water behind it free-flowing. It's realtively small obstruction to the flow of water and sand had drastic influence on the sandplates behind it.

    Because the current is now less, the channels and gullies between the sandplates are too big. As a result the plases are losing sand to fill these big channels. on some places the maintainers have started to supply extra sand to valuable sandplates.

    Once you start to do that, you are no longer maintaining a nature reserve but you have just become a garderener with a big & unusually wet garden.

    But on the other hand, if you want to keep the current environment, you will have to accept the occasional flood. But with those levees around the rivers that was not happening much either.

  • by PigIronBob ( 885337 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @06:10PM (#13494045)
    mmmmmmmmmm, I was born in Rotterdam, lived there for 29 years, never heard THAT story before, sounds about as good as plugging a hole in a dike with your finger, those that actually have seen a 'sea dike' will see the funny side of that story. Also the 8 Billion Guilders was the initial budget (1953) needless to say that they went over 'a bit' seeing the project went for more than 30 years, some extraordinary innovations were made due to some extraordinary problems they faced such as having to build on silt rather than bedrock, but in the end they were true to the creed: "Luctor et Emergo", the Lion in the coat of arms of Zeeland does stand knee-deep in water for good reason. One lesson the American people could learn from this was the fact that the entire 'Delta Plan' was enshrined in an irrevocable Law, to make sure that no one could weasel out of this when the memory of the flood subsided!
  • by Anonymous Coward on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @06:12PM (#13494067)
    Actually the communists have 1,500 doctors [alertnet.org] waiting for the overburdened and humiliated capitalist government to allow them to help.
  • Silver lining? (Score:5, Informative)

    by quarkscat ( 697644 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @06:13PM (#13494080)
    The hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans at Force 4 levels. The wind, rain, and flooding were all managable, with the city's pumps clearing away the 2 to 3 feet of flood water. It was the storm surge that followed Katrina inland that breached the levees. The levee system, as well as the port facilities, were all "owned" by the US Army Corps of Engineers, and have been for decades.

    Dredging of shipping channels, construction of canals for the diversion of water, and continued construction of port facilities brought new economic development to New Orleans. But officials at all levels of government have known for a decade that the levee system needed to be upgraded in order to withstand the worst that nature could wreak on the city. Enough money was never made available for reconstruction of the wetlands or barrier islands, or for improving the levee system.

    Three times during the Bush administration funding has been slashed to 1/6th to 1/10th of needed levels to properly address the above issues. The loss of live may climb to ten thousand or more, with property damage in New Orleans proper that could reach $15 Billion USD. It would not be the first time that the neo-conservatives have been exposed to accusations of being "penny wise and pound foolish". The fiscal liability exposure by commercial insurance companies will likely result in several of these companies filing bankruptcy.

    Whatever funds that the US Congress and the Bush administration spend on reconstruction in New Orleans will likely be dwarfed by commercial enterprises. The US Supreme Court has opened the way for local/state government to seize private property and turn it over to "more commercially viable" private enterprise. While the taxpayer burdeon may be mitigated by such actions, the notion of private ownership rights, due process, and equal treatment under the law are all due to be sorely tested as the cleanup and rebuilding of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast proceed. The current regime in power has never made any bones about favoring big commercial interests over those of the individual. Times that try the boundaries of the US Constitution and the Bill or Rights versus the power of big corporate-owned government are coming...
  • by Mr. Slippery ( 47854 ) <tms&infamous,net> on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @06:16PM (#13494101) Homepage
    Good idea listen to the people who sold Manhattan island for some beads.

    Except they didn't [nativenewsonline.org].

    Anyway, have you traded anything for little green pieces of paper lately? Or even wackier, for a piece of paper that promises green pieces of paper? Or an electronic promise of green pieces of paper?

  • by jcnnghm ( 538570 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @06:36PM (#13494305)
    That's all well and good, except blaming Bush isn't going to work. An Army Corp of Engineers rep said that even if Bush had increased funding starting day 1 of his first term, this wouldn't have been avoided. Try a different scapegoat.
  • Re:Learn from nature (Score:3, Informative)

    by Rei ( 128717 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @07:26PM (#13494760) Homepage
    First off, please format properly, and use links whenever possible.

    A lot of pork ... Robert Byrd

    West Virginia's annual "pork" is about 6 billion dollars per year (assuming that 60% of federal expenditures on WV are "pork", since they pay $1 in taxes for every $1.6 they get in federal spending). The short time we've been in Iraq so far has accrued 192B$ in direct costs (and this doesn't count things like the economic recession from the uncertainty leading up to it, the effects of the oil shortage afterwards, the economic loss of the removal of so many reserves, etc). This also doesn't count the rapid DOD growth, which is not included; we now spend half of the world's total military spending.

    welfare reform

    All programs together, state and federal, are about 20B$ a year, a little over half of that (11B$) on children (between TANF, CCDF, and SSBG). Sorry, not even close.

    I always am amused by people who blame "pork" and especially "welfare" for our government woes.

    nowhere close to the cost of the war in Iraq

    Oh, so is your plan to take the entire cost of the war in Iraq out of a single budget item? That'd require eliminating a large branch of the government. Meanwhile, back in the real world, you have to take some out of everything. War costs hard choices, especially when you *cut* taxes during a war (an almost unheard of act).
  • by ankhank ( 756164 ) * on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @07:36PM (#13494840) Journal
    > NO DATA
    Oh, for Christ's sake. Take 0.34 seconds to check what it's like BEFORE adding the toxic waste.

    Results 1 - 100 of about 24,900 for "Gulf of Mexico" +"dead zone". (0.34 seconds)

    NOAA's National Ocean Service: The Gulf of Mexico's dead zone swells each summer to about 18000 square kilometers--roughly the size of New Jersey....
    oceanservice.noaa.gov/products/pubs_hypox.html -

    The Dead Zone in the Gulf of Mexico is a large region of water that has very low oxygen concentrations, and therefore can't support aquatic life.
    www.smm.org/deadzone/

    Gulf of Mexico's "dead zone," which last summer reached the size of the ...
    www.fishingnj.org/artdedzn.htm

    Gulf of Mexico "Dead Zone" Is Size of New Jersey
    Each year a swath of the Gulf of Mexico becomes so devoid of shrimp, fish, and
    other marine life that it is known as the dead zone.
    news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/0525_0505 25_deadzone.html - 28k - Sep 4, 2005

    beneath the waves of the Gulf of Mexico lurks the "dead zone," a vast area off the Louisiana-Texas coast where oxygen-depleted water collects every ...
            news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2000/12/1204_fish .html

    Gulf of Mexico Hypoxia
    The Gulf of Mexico "Dead Zone", or hypoxic zone, is an expanse of oxygen-depleted
    waters that cannot sustain most marine life. This hypoxic zone is caused ...
    www.ncat.org/nutrients/hypoxia/hypoxia.html - 7k ....

    7000 square miles of the Gulf of Mexico. Called the Gulf Dead Zone....
  • by Da Fokka ( 94074 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @08:37PM (#13495300) Homepage

    As the article mentions, half of Holland is below sea level - obviously they don't have the option of relocating, but they prove that adequate flood defences can be built. The cost really isn't that big, a tiny fraction of what Bush is spending in Iraq would provide adequate flood defences for the area. Seems to me like a perfectly reasonable way to spend money, compared to some things I could mention.

    Right on! After the 1953 flooding [wikipedia.org] of over 2000km2 of polders, planning of the Delta Works [deltawerken.com] was started. Dikes (or levees) along hundreds of kilometers of shore were raised by as much as 5 meters. Several flood barriers were built, some of which can move in order to permit sea traffic to pass during normal conditions. The American Society of Civil engineers [asce.org] considers them one of the seven modern wonders of the world [asce.org].

    The delta works took over 40 years to complete and the costs were huge, but not more than the $100 billion one year of Iraqi war costs.

  • by Rei ( 128717 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @08:58PM (#13495447) Homepage
    After the first day after the storm New Orleans said they where okay.

    The storm struck on the 29th. The very next papers said they survived with heavy damage, but the levees held. That evening, the levees overtopped, and by morning on the 30th the city was starting to transform into a hellscape. The news was full of scenes of devastation, people stranded in New Orleans, the first reports of violence. Everyone was wondering the whole day why Bush had been spending his time posing for pictures and giving speeches on unrelated topics while we had our own little hellhole brewing on every network.

    On midday of the 31st Bush finally decided to cut his vacation short, but simply flew over the area. Cheney was still on vacation. Card was on vacation. Condi was shoe shopping and watching Spamalot. The list actually goes on, but I don't have it on me.

    The 1st? Bush held a press conference, but nothing else. It wasn't until the 2nd that he actually went on-scene. Meanwhile, Cheney and the other vacationers were still on vacation.

    It's a horrible response - it makes them look insensive self-focused, especially combined with the fact that the whole time FEMA, the military, and the national guard were botching the relief effort and pretending that everything was going peachy. Every time I heard them speak about how wonderful things were, and then saw people crying and literally dying, the immediate question comes up: why on *earth* do these people still have their jobs? How can there be such a ridiculous disconnect? And why on earth do we have people with no emergency management qualifications heading FEMA at all?
  • by LWATCDR ( 28044 ) on Tuesday September 06, 2005 @09:19PM (#13495616) Homepage Journal
    "On midday of the 31st Bush finally decided to cut his vacation short, but simply flew over the area. Cheney was still on vacation. Card was on vacation. Condi was shoe shopping and watching Spamalot. The list actually goes on, but I don't have it on me.
    "
    And if Bush had cut have ended his vacation 24 hours sooner would it had made a difference? If he had visited it would have take resources away efforts to save people. You said it. "it makes them look insensive self-focused". It makes them look. Again are you trying to fix the problem or find what you can blame on Bush? Are you letting these people suffering serve your goals?
    It was not even in Bush power to evacuate New Orleans. It was not in his power to call up the National Guard. It was not in his power to put Police in the shelters.
    If he had done any of these things it would have been abusing his office and breaking the law.
    The majority of the blame for the deaths are clearly on the heads of the Governor and Mayor. The Federal Government made mistakes and could do better. The Governor and Mayor are guilty of manslaughter. What I am seeing is people wanting to ignore the criminal negligence of the Governor and Mayor because they think it will take the heat off of the President and the feel that laying blame on the Republican party and winning the next election are more important than showing where the real problem was and fixing it. The feel that their greater goal is more important then the truth.
  • by snarfwarg ( 856358 ) on Wednesday September 07, 2005 @10:52AM (#13499784)
    What's the point of rebuilding?

    The port of New Orleans and environs is one of the top three ports of the united states. Massive tonnage of imports/exports flow through this port, including 15-20% of all petroleum products used by this country, the majority of exported agricultural goods; not to mention all the oil infrastructure currently existing in the Gulf of Mexico.

    NO and the surrounding communities are where all the oil and dockyard works live.
  • by d34thm0nk3y ( 653414 ) on Wednesday September 07, 2005 @04:32PM (#13503291)
    It was not even in Bush power to evacuate New Orleans. It was not in his power to call up the National Guard.

    This website disagrees with you. [army.mil]

    And I quote:
    In addition, the President of the United States can activate the National Guard to participate in Federal missions.

I tell them to turn to the study of mathematics, for it is only there that they might escape the lusts of the flesh. -- Thomas Mann, "The Magic Mountain"

Working...