Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!

Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
×
Television Media It's funny.  Laugh. The Almighty Buck United States Hardware

There's a Sucker Converted Every Minute 395

Ponca City, We love you writes "Once the US converts from analog to digital broadcasting next February, those who receive their signals over the air will need a converter box for older, non-digital models. Government-approved converter boxes sell for $60 or less and a government-issued $40 rebate coupon is available for the asking but that hasn't stopped companies like the Ohio-based Universal TechTronics from offering supposedly free converter boxes. The gimmick: the box is free, as long as you pay $88 for a five-year warranty, plus $9.30 shipping. Universal TechTronics seems to specialize in 'high-tech' products of questionable value, marketing the Cool Surge portable air cooler, 'a work of engineering genius from the China coast so advanced that no windows, vents, or freon are needed' that uses the same energy as a 60-watt light bulb. It works by blowing a stream of air over two ice packs that you have previously frozen in your freezer. What's the best tech scam you've heard of lately?"
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

There's a Sucker Converted Every Minute

Comments Filter:
  • Re:I like Vista (Score:1, Interesting)

    by Anonymous Coward on Saturday July 05, 2008 @03:57PM (#24068865)

    It could be the fact you need a dual core machine with 2 gigs to browse the web now.

  • by frovingslosh ( 582462 ) on Saturday July 05, 2008 @04:04PM (#24068935)
    What's the best tech scam you've heard of lately?

    Do you mean other than those $60 converter boxs and $40 Government coupons that expire in less than 80 days after people receive them? The coupons are a great deal for the importers and sellers, but in reality the customer ends up paying about whet they would if there were no coupon program, perhaps more when you realize they pay sales tax on the entire ticket price. In a world where I can buy a DVD player in a local store for $29 or less, these much simpler converter boxes should not be costing $60.

  • Bathtub Curve (Score:5, Interesting)

    by msgmonkey ( 599753 ) on Saturday July 05, 2008 @04:18PM (#24069063)

    Retailers love to offer 5 year extended warranty because of the Bathtub Curve [wikipedia.org].

    Basically if a product does n't fail within one year then the probability it failing within five year years is very very low.

    This curve applies very well to consumer electronics with the added advantage that they depreciate in value quickly too.

  • Re:Maybe the (Score:5, Interesting)

    by Ethanol-fueled ( 1125189 ) on Saturday July 05, 2008 @04:32PM (#24069183) Homepage Journal
    Check this out: when I was working as a film-developing monkey for a large drugstore chain, we had a computer dedicated to downloading pictures from a VERY well-known maker of disposable cameras. One day, the tech had to come in to upgrade the computer so that it could dowload pictures from bluetooth devices. The tech opened up the computer and explained to me that he had to remove a piece of "epoxy"(which was a small blob of harmless rubber cement on the mainboard) which clearly obstructed nothing ad served no purpose whatsoever. Then, he put in a driver CD to enable bluetooth functionality. It was absurd! Why crack the box open at all? My guess was to rationalize an obscene price by making a simple driver install an illusion of a "ZOMG hardware surgery performed by a engineer".

    Absurd.
  • Re:I like Vista (Score:3, Interesting)

    by Nightspirit ( 846159 ) on Saturday July 05, 2008 @04:34PM (#24069187)

    My laptop with vista is noticeably faster than my desktop with XP (with the exception of network transfer speed), even though they have the same specs (2.1ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ram. The desktop has a better videocard).

    For me at least XP seems to get much slower with age while vista does not do so. Yah, a fresh install of XP is blinding fast, even more so than Ubuntu IMO, but after several weeks just slows to a crawl (yah I scandisk, reg clean, defrag, spyware/virus check, etc) while Vista takes a couple days to get fast (due to indexing and prefetching, or whatever they call it).

  • Re:Best Tech Scam (Score:5, Interesting)

    by Hollinger ( 16202 ) <michael AT hollinger DOT net> on Saturday July 05, 2008 @04:36PM (#24069207) Homepage Journal

    My other favorite is the speaker scam, which someone tried to pull on me about two weeks ago (I hadn't heard of these for years). It's not really a tech scam, just your basic grift that happens to involve technology: an "installer" got an extra set of speakers/surround sound system/plasma TV accidentally loaded in his van for a big install job. Last time this happened, his boss reamed him a new one for not noticing in the first place, then sold them and kept the cash himself.

    They've moved to eBay. A year or two ago, I was trying to find some new speakers. I spent several hours clicking around the various brands and types on eBay, and for kicks (maybe because I'm slightly evil) I'd place a few opening bids on obviously high-end items, knowing I'd lose the auction. The next morning I had "congrats! You've won!" email in my inbox, and an invoice for $78 for a pair of DR-SL-900 [ebay.com] speakers. It took me all of 10 minutes to figure out that these were a scam [google.com]. I offered to pay the relisting fees as a good netizen, expecting something like $5:

    Item: DR-SL-900 HOME THEATER SPEAKERS SURROUND SOUND (5836587072)
    This message was sent after the listing closed.
    ou_mike_hollinger is the winner.

    Hello,

    I just won this pair of speakers. To be honest, I didn't expect to win a $1500+ dollar pair. I thought my bid would be outbid rather quickly.

    Can I just pay your re-listing fees or something? I sell on eBay as well, and hate it when people do this, but someone offered to cover my relisting fees for eBay, which pretty much removed all the expense from my pocket.

    How does that sound to you?

    Sorry for the inconvenience,
    ~ Mike

    And promptly got this note back: