Slashdot is powered by your submissions, so send in your scoop

Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
×
The Courts Data Storage Government Privacy United States News Your Rights Online

Court Rules That Palin Must Save Yahoo Emails 412

quarterbuck writes "An Anchorage judge has ruled that Governor Sarah Palin must save her emails, as they were apparently used for state business. Last week a Tennessee man was arrested over hacking one of her Yahoo email accounts. The Washington Post also reports that Sarah Palin, her husband, and officials had set up email accounts known only to each other."
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Court Rules That Palin Must Save Yahoo Emails

Comments Filter:
  • by commodoresloat ( 172735 ) * on Sunday October 12, 2008 @03:26PM (#25346925)

    Or she'll just claim the emails say the exact opposite of what they actually say, just like she did with the troopergate report [cbsnews.com].

  • by Ethanol-fueled ( 1125189 ) * on Sunday October 12, 2008 @03:27PM (#25346937) Homepage Journal
    Before he was arrested, he posted that he was afraid and he basically bailed out. That's why he didn't back up the e-mails.

    Now he's going to be seen the some cowering, harmless punk kid who half-wittedly exposed the blatant stupidity of Sarah Palin and the weaknesses of Yahoo and similar mail services.
  • by Drakin020 ( 980931 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @03:49PM (#25347083)
    I don't know if the term "Whistle blower" would be a good term to use. Whistle blowers typically KNOW something is going on that is illegal, I'm guessing this kids intentions were to be a giant douche but happened to stumble upon something. It's not like he knew that she was using a personal account to handle government related issues.
  • by Danse ( 1026 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @03:51PM (#25347107)

    But do you think that if he had not gained access to her emails, this decision would have been made? Regardless if he backed out, this still resulted in her being forced to keep her yahoo emails. This could come back to bite her if she doesn't remove those emails first.

    I believe there was already an effort underway by some Alaskans to gain access to the emails in the commercial accounts that Palin and her staff were using. The account that got hacked was actually her personal Yahoo account, not one of the ones normally used for official business.

  • yeah (Score:3, Informative)

    by someone1234 ( 830754 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @04:04PM (#25347197)

    Emphasis is on NON-WORK
    Apparently she used the yahoo box for work too.
    I wasn't sure about this earlier, but the court must be able to tell apart work from private mail.

  • Re:Privacy (Score:5, Informative)

    by Danse ( 1026 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @04:06PM (#25347205)

    Not that I'm for the ditz, but isn't everyone entitled to their privacy? Even online.

    As in, being free to delete whatever non-work emails come to you.

    The problem is that she was using a commercial account for state business [adn.com], which circumvents the security and accountability of using official state email services. She essentially made state business subject to Yahoo's terms of service rather than the laws of Alaska. Her official email is supposed to be public record, but the state can't access or archive her commercial account.

  • by Danse ( 1026 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @04:08PM (#25347229)

    Personal email accounts called gov.palin@yahoo.com and where the subjects clearly implied she was talking business?

    Sorry, I don't believe for a second they were personal.

    gov.palin@yahoo.com was her personal use account. gov.sarah@yahoo.com was the one that she was using for official state business [adn.com].

  • by Anonymous Coward on Sunday October 12, 2008 @04:10PM (#25347249)

    The kid who hacked her account is the son of a Democrat politician. I think he knew what he was doing.

  • by thetoadwarrior ( 1268702 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @04:21PM (#25347349) Homepage
    Husband children and close aides.

    Selective reading clearly shows someone's bias...or lack of comprehension. ;)
  • by Jah-Wren Ryel ( 80510 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @04:34PM (#25347461)

    Can you please show us a specific e-mail that proves she was conducting government business via a free email service?

    Seriously, there are plenty of legitimate criticisms to level at this woman, and this is not one of them. There is no proof.

    While there is no proof per se, there is extremely incriminating evidence already available thanks to the so-called 'punk' who is under indictment.
    Here is a summary of subject lines and correspondents from said 'personal' account as reported on wikileaks.
    Some people have tried to argue that these are not incriminating, some people see pink elephants too.

    Subject: Draft letter to Governor Schwarzenegger / Container Tax
    From: Ruaro, Randall P (Deputy Chief of Staff)

    Subject: FW: Motor Fuel Tax Suspension
    From: Meghan Stapleton (Press Secretary)

    Subject: RE: Using Royalty Oil to Lower the Cost of Fuel for Alaskans
    From: Nizich, Michael A (Chief of Staff)

    Subject: Court of Appeals / Executive Director Parole Board / Boards and Commissions
    From: Ruaro, Randall P (Deputy Chief of Staff)

    Subject: RE: Please approve
    From: Ruaro, Randall P (Deputy Chief of Staff)

    Subject: Rural Wireless Service
    From: McBride, Rhonda (Rural Advisor)

    Subject: FW: DPS Employee Draft
    From: Ruaro, Randall P (Deputy Chief of Staff)

    Subject: Re: DPS Personnel and Budget Issues
    From: McAllister, William D (Communciations Director)

    Subject: FW: DPS Personnel and Budget Issues
    From: Ruaro, Randall P (Deputy Chief of Staff)

    Subject: Court of Appeals Nominations
    From: Ruaro, Randall P (Deputy Chief of Staff)

    Subject: another records request
    From: Nizich, Michael A (Chief of Staff)

    Subject: RE: Scheduling - Week of 08.10.08
    From: Mason, Janice L (Scheduling Assistant

    Subject: FW: Capitalizing on coal reserves, Crow Tribe strikes deal for $7B
    From: Nizich, Michael A (Chief of Staff)

    Subject: Status report
    From: Ruaro, Randall P (Deputy Chief of Staff)

    Subject: FW: Special session press release
    From: Nizich, Michael A (Chief of Staff)

    Subject: Followup.
    From: Colberg, Talis J (Alaska Attorney General)

    Subject: FW: CONFIDENTIAL Ethics Matter
    From: Nizich, Michael A (Chief of Staff)

  • by Anonymous Coward on Sunday October 12, 2008 @04:34PM (#25347465)

    This wasn't some naive kid, his dad's a Tennessee state representative (Democrat):

    http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Oct09/0,4670,PalinHacked,00.html

  • by Zerth ( 26112 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @04:54PM (#25347643)

    It actually just shows the mind-set of the people from the left.

    Breaking the law = okay, as long as it is against the democratic party...

    Ok, either you need a s/left/right or a s/democratic/republican

    As it stands, your comment makes no sense...

  • by Anonymous Coward on Sunday October 12, 2008 @05:41PM (#25348045)

    ...if she HADN'T taken any action against a state trooper who had tazed her 10 year step son. Screwed either way. After all, we DO all remember the pols who tazed that guy at a Kerry speech and how horrible, awful and hitler youth it was, right?

    Here's what wikipedia has to say about the stepson tazing:

    Wooten was also found to have violated department policy in using a Taser on his then 11-year old stepson in 2003. He told investigators that he did so "in a training capacity" after the child had asked to be tased. In a September 2008 newspaper interview, Wooten said that he set the Taser to "test" mode, meaning that it was on low power.[30][31] In a statement to police, the boy said "he wanted to be tased to show that he's not a mommy's boy in front of Bristol [his cousin, Palin's daughter]. Following being tased he went upstairs to tell his mother that he was fine."[17] In a statement to police, Molly McCann said "she was up stairs giving a bath to the kids ⦠Mike was going to show Payton what it feels like and she told Mike that he better not."[17] According to Molly's account, she remained upstairs during the incident.

    Following some of the links to the actual news articles, it appears that the trooper in question, Mike Wooten, had his stepson lie on the floor surrounded by pillows and clipped the taser leads to his stepson's shirt and gave his stepson a brief pulse on the lowest setting.

    IMHO, tasing your stepson, even if he begs for it, isn't exactly a smart thing to do. Having said that, it's interesting that Palin supporters mention the tasing in a way that implies something much worse.

  • by fishbowl ( 7759 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @09:10PM (#25349627)

    >Did you know about Ayers?

    I knew about Ayers when he was pallin' around with Nancy Reagan, before the Reaganite Annenberg gave him $50 million. That was in the early 90s.

    I laughed a lot when his name came up, because I already know he had as many Republican connections as Democrat.

  • by Walkingshark ( 711886 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @09:28PM (#25349785) Homepage

    Facts generally don't have much effect on someone who has outsourced their thinking to their tribal leader/shaman of choice.

  • by Walkingshark ( 711886 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @09:34PM (#25349837) Homepage

    No, you are totally wrong. Your analogy is, frankly, total shit. When she is conducting buisiness relevant to her job, she is not some average citizen, she has obligations that come with her office to ensure that all official buisiness and communication is properly archived, which is why the taxpayers of Alaska fund an email system for her to use that has those archival functions built into it. You utterly fucking fail at being worth even the sum of your constituent organic molecules if you think it is ok for her to bypass the law. Without rule of law, there is only tyranny. Or maybe that is what you're after.

  • by Walkingshark ( 711886 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @09:41PM (#25349897) Homepage

    Actually, they found email related to official buisiness on her yahoo account. Sorry, I know I know, reality has a well known liberal bias.

  • by Gideon Fubar ( 833343 ) on Sunday October 12, 2008 @10:32PM (#25350279) Journal
    This is true iff the 'hacker' was the only person to do this. That is.. if the email accounts were accessed in a legal way (via court order to Yahoo, for example) then this evidence is freely admissible.

    Since they were actually requested by the Alaskan courts, the point is now moot. So to speak.

interlard - vt., to intersperse; diversify -- Webster's New World Dictionary Of The American Language

Working...