Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook

Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
×
United States Communications Social Networks Software Hardware Technology Your Rights Online

U.S. Authorizes Sales of American Communication Tech To Iran 108

An anonymous reader writes "A report at SF Gate notes that 'The United States has lifted portions of two-decades-old sanctions against Iran in an effort to bolster communication between the country's citizens — and potentially aid organization against a repressive Iranian government. Thursday afternoon the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control authorized the sale of hardware and software that pertain to the Internet, instant messaging, chat, e-mail, social networking, sharing of media, and blogging — basically, all things digital. The Treasury Department wrote, 'As the Iranian government attempts to silence its people by cutting off their communication with each other and the rest of the world, the United States will continue to take action to help the Iranian people exercise their universal human rights, including the right to freedom of expression.'"
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

U.S. Authorizes Sales of American Communication Tech To Iran

Comments Filter:
  • by xxxJonBoyxxx ( 565205 ) on Friday May 31, 2013 @11:03AM (#43872931)

    >> U.S. Treasury Department: "universal human rights, including the right to freedom of expression"

    The fine print: "...unless you advocate the rule of law based on the U.S. Constitution or the Bill of Rights."

  • Infiltrate! (Score:5, Funny)

    by ColdWetDog ( 752185 ) on Friday May 31, 2013 @11:03AM (#43872941) Homepage

    You do realize this is simply a cold hearted attempt to bring Iran to it's knees. Hear me out ....

    - Iran is subjected to crushing economic sanctions. Their economy makes Newark, NJ look like a paradise on earth.
    - Now, Apple and Sony can dump their high priced, effete toys on a naive, unsuspecting populace.
    - Billions of dollars flow outward from the Iran economy which, heretofore, had been largely supported by itinerant photoshop interns.
    - Profit
    - Iran collapses in a heap of shiny trinkets!

    USA! USA! USA! (oh, and China...)

  • by Anonymous Coward on Friday May 31, 2013 @11:08AM (#43873005)
    No, I think they're stux with it.
  • by Sparticus789 ( 2625955 ) on Friday May 31, 2013 @11:27AM (#43873261) Journal

    To: Cisco
    From: Iran
    Subject: OMG HELP!
    Body: Dear kind sirs of Cisco,
    My name is Barrister Allahu Akbahara Salami Mozambique. I am trying to install your router system here in order to oppress my population in the name of Allah. However, I have been trying to change the root password for your switch. Whenever I try to telnet into it, the welcome message says "America, Fuck Yeah!" and plays a strange intro song. At the same time, all of the webcams, printers, faxes, document scanners go completely haywire and my network traffic spikes.

    Also, I have a large inheritance that I believe is meant for you. Could you send me your bank account information so that I may deposit a sum of 89 billion rial ($18 US) into your account?

    Yours in kind regards,
    Barrister Allahu Akbahara Salami Mozambique

"Here's something to think about: How come you never see a headline like `Psychic Wins Lottery.'" -- Comedian Jay Leno

Working...