Follow Slashdot stories on Twitter

Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
×
News

Squirt out some Quickies 40

Couple of web sites worth mentioning: gman wrote in to plug LinuxHardware.net, a new "driverbase" that aims to make it easily to find drivers. Gman says it already has over 250 submissions. Need more help? Sure we all do, well Patrick wrote in to plug his new site, dotfiles.com. Guess what it's for? The first 2 tries don't count. And Some fun bits to keep you entertained for the evening, Evelyn Mitchell sent us a link where you can read the tummy.com 2.2 pool results and find how who predicted when 2.2 would be released. A similiar pool is upcoming for 2.4 CaseyB sent us an entertaining rumor from BeDope that Be will reincarnate the BeBox- building it out of Legos. Don't I wish. And finally, Hans sent us another funny one ls.themes.org where you can theme ls. I can't decide if its a parody or not- but it made my day.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Squirt out some Quickies

Comments Filter:
  • Be + Transmeta + Nuon = My Brain Exploding [slashdot.org]
  • Problem here is that @home is distrubuted differently across the U.S. Hence, is anyone successfully connected with the Comcast installation? If so I have a few questions. For Example: I thought I had a IP static address but it's set as automatic (PnP?) under the card properties; second, with their custom login for mail - is it back to Win 95 everytime it's mail time?
  • Perhaps the focus is different, but the site itself looks like a tacky rip-off.
  • by PHroD ( 1018 )
    dude! like i had an idea to cover plain beige computer cases in krazy-glued legos, PLUS one of those flat lego landscapes so you could put lil lego ppl and trees and other sheeot up there :) any of you would pay a few bux for that kinda thing? :)

    ---------------------------------
    HotsOS home http://hotsos.8m.com/
  • its LINUS! LINUS LINUS LINUS! hehehe

    ---------------------------------
    HotsOS home http://hotsos.8m.com/
  • I can picture the screenshots... kittens dipped in paint... cats with pictures of nekkid women on them, cats with anime grabs tattooed on them... now if only my cat were themable...
  • umm, dude :)
    from what I see there, the only samba related file there is the default oen that comes with the samba package itself... but really, is smb.conf that much of a struggle? plopping in domains and hosts, and a struct for dir's/printer's? it shouldnt take you longer than 30 minutes for an avg network :P
  • Why can't you compile your own color ls for IRIX? It uses ANSI-compatible colors, I believe so even in a monochrome term (like vanilla xterm or wterm) you'll get bold (bold yellow in wterm's case) at least.

    As for Eterm, transparent terms are not really transparent, they just grab the background image and display a cropped version in the proper alignment in the Eterm (in other words, you won't see other windows through your Eterm). But to do this, Eterm has to know what the background image is and how it is aligned. If you're not using Englightenment, you have to set your background with the command Esetroot, which should have been included with Eterm. I've found Esetroot to be very slow in putting the image up (compared to xv), and the coolness of transparent terms soon runs down, especially when you have different backgrounds (I have a loop that changes my background to another one randomly every hour) in which some conflict with your character colors.
    --
    Aaron Gaudio
    "The fool finds ignorance all around him.

    So maybe there should be an ls.theme.org
    i know a few guys whold be glad to run it..
    Col_KFC used to use LiteStep....
  • its intresting how you can call something that you do not understand a hack. Anyway, windows may be unstable so and so amy be litestep, but considering thats it only at 0.24.4 i should expect anything from it. I don't here folks complaining about gnome or gtk apps crashing, which they do. Maybe the guy who installed litestep was a total boob, hey just as linux ain't for everybody so is litestep.

    So don't get me started.
  • gtk.themes.org: 20th January 1999 - AAARRRGGGHHHH... Ok. I owe you all a big explanation. I have been back at work full time for the last few weeks and hence have been mondo busy and havent had time to update this page. On Monday the 18th of January I resigned from Harris Technologu Australia. The reason being I am entering my final year at school and want to give myself the best chance to get the best UAI I can, and I cant do that with work on my mind. My last day is Friday and then I am going to spend some time with my girlfriend untill wednesday. After then fairly regular updates should resume. My apologies to those who have sent in themes and havent been added yet, it will happen RSN and I will also get back on top of my email RSN. James Wilson - _ENiGMA_ ls.themes.org: 20th January 1999 - Today was a terrible day. All the other 4th graders laught at me, when i showed off my TMBG/Themes.org t-shirt/lunchbox combo. I bet there all windows users anyway! What a bunch of lusers. Lane Narrows - _KiNg_oF_DarK_&_LiTe_ Sorry if the text isn't formatted right, I think you get the gyst of it though ;)
  • ==================BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE==================
    >From: glen mccready

    Forwarded-by: Nev Dull

    [Background: Someone hacked the win.tue.nl ftp site and installed
    versions
    of various packages that would forward user login/uid information to
    Hotmail
    addresses.]

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- =
    From: "Daniel P. Stasinski"
    Subject: Microsoft Hotmail

    I contacted Microsoft/Hotmail asking them to close the account
    that was listed in the backdoored tcp wrapper source code. I
    also forwarded the offending code.

    The word back from them is that they will not close it. Theft
    of passwords and hacking does not violate their terms of service.

    Daniel
    --
    /\/ Daniel P. Stasinski /\/ Karemor International, Inc. /\/
    /\/ Software Engineer /\/ 2406 South 24th Street /\/

    Make your own conclusions
  • I set up my .bash_profile so now my ls has the RGB-4-EVER theme. 8^)
    --
    Matthew Sachs
    matthewg@interport.net

    Thanks in advance.

    jscott_at_work@yahoo.com
  • ..sorry for the poor description. I don't care about getting irc to work. I really only need to find some great online HOWTO/help forum. Right now, my job (and the rest of our group) /is/ to learn Linux. I'm just being lazy about going to the store and buying a book :)
  • If you win the next one, we'll hire you. :-)

    Sean
  • That was an excellent conclusion to the day, which was rather long and involved lots of unenjoyable labor. That bit of humor was just what I needed.

    Thanks for the link! I feel motivated once again to continue my work. Hmm, I've got this idea in the back of my head... I want to support a weird audio adapter typically used in Microchannel machines. The only driver interface that will be easy runs in DOS. I'm thinking about running a "stub" program in DOSEMU and then having my Linux audio device driver talk to that...

    Cheers
    Joshua (who is still laughing. I love that line about the fourth graders! I don't know why it struck me as so funny but it just did. I think watching the output of a compiler too many times does something to your brain.)

  • Heh, dz your gonna get buried in here. Lets just say selling Litestep to /. folks is like selling ice cubes to the eskimo's.

    I've used Litestep on my M$ boxes for the last nine months, and the current version is pretty stable. It's not Linux, but it's a reasonable step in the right direction from stock windows, esp. if you don't have a choice (at work etc.).

"What man has done, man can aspire to do." -- Jerry Pournelle, about space flight

Working...