Please create an account to participate in the Slashdot moderation system

Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
×
The Courts Government Media Music News Your Rights Online

Has RIAA Abandoned the 'Making Available' Defense? 125

NewYorkCountryLawyer writes "The RIAA's standard complaint (pdf) was thrown out last month by a federal judge in California as speculation in Interscope v. Rodriguez. Interestingly, the RIAA's amended complaint (pdf), filed six days later, abandoned altogether the RIAA's 'making available' argument. (Whereby making files available at all for download is infringement.) It first formulated that defense against a dismissal motion in Elektra v. Barker. This raises a number of questions: Is the RIAA is going to stick to this new form of complaint in future cases? Will they get into a different kind of trouble for some of its their new allegations, such as the contention that the investigator "detected an individual" (contradicting the testimony of the RIAA's own expert witness)? And finally, what tack will defendants' lawyers take (this was one lawyer's suggestion)?"
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Has RIAA Abandoned the 'Making Available' Defense?

Comments Filter:
  • Defense? (Score:5, Insightful)

    by hazem ( 472289 ) on Monday September 17, 2007 @03:39AM (#20633191) Journal
    Has RIAA Abandoned the 'Making Available' Defense?

    IANAL, but I can't imagine the RIAA is offering to many defenses in these court cases. Maybe they're abandoning the complaint of "making available"? That's what the article seems to indicate...
    • Re: (Score:1, Offtopic)

      by hazem ( 472289 )
      "too" many, that is. That's what I get for trying to be cheeky.
    • by Anonymous Coward
      I wonder if he can use anything from the MediaDefender leak against them? For example, apparently the anti-P2P folks admit to making up ridiculous numbers...

      http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37857&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=50 [slyck.com]