Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook

Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
×
GNU is Not Unix

Richard Stallman Is Still Head of the GNU Project (gnu.org) 140

On Thursday, Richard Stallman reminded the GNU Project mailing list that "On September 16 I resigned as president of the Free Software Foundation, but the GNU Project and the FSF are not the same. I am still the head of the GNU Project (the Chief GNUisance), and I intend to continue as such."

The next day, with no explanation, a one-sentence update appeared on his personal blog at Stallman.org announcing that "I hereby step down as head of the GNU Project, effective immediately." But a few commenters on social media speculated that the post could have come from someone who'd hijacked Stallman's site -- and sure enough, that sentence had been removed by Sunday morning. In addition, for what it's worth Techrights.org posted an unconfirmed claim Sunday from "a generally reliable source" that "Stallman.org was defaced by an FSF employee. The deface has been reverted, and the domain appears to now be operating on non-FSF infrastructure..."

But whatever's happening, Richard Stallman is still living the life of Richard Stallman. Friday he also posted that he's looking for a room in a shared house or apartment for at least two months.

"There should not be a cat (unless hypoallergenic), or a dog that jumps up excitedly on people (unless quite small), or a digital listening device such as Echo, Siri or 'Hello Google', or a card lock that records who opens the door. I will ask about cameras."
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Richard Stallman Is Still Head of the GNU Project

Comments Filter:
  • by CaptainDork ( 3678879 ) on Sunday September 29, 2019 @12:35PM (#59249726)

    ... sorry, low hanging fruit.

    • by Anonymous Coward

      When Apple CEO Steve Jobs was pushed out of the company he created, Steve went on to continue his work elsewhere, and eventually, was brought back in to Apple to revitalize the failing company.

      I predict that RMS will continue to do great things for the world, regardless of what FSF and his detractors say about him. One day, RMS will return and turn the FSF ship around.

      • by CaptainDork ( 3678879 ) on Sunday September 29, 2019 @01:26PM (#59249856)

        Maybe RMS will FSF the CEO of AAPL in the DBMS space utilizing MCT PST blockchain CRST cloud BTC STEM and stuff.

      • One day, RMS will return and turn the FSF ship around.

        They're still waiting for that Jesus guy, though.

      • by Anonymous Coward

        I predict that RMS will continue to do great things for the world, regardless of what FSF and his detractors say about him. One day, RMS will return and turn the FSF ship around.

        Yes, turn the ship around away from the open seas and back towards the rocks.

        Note that Steve Jobs 1.0 and 2.0 were very different people. Steve 2.0 could only return to Apple because he learned from his mistakes, changed his mind on some things, and learned new skills appropriate to the job. Stallman is unlikely to do so, he will fade away, he likely won't even be able to provide a Don Quijote level of amusement for us to care about him. He made some contributions to Linux user land, the world is past hi

      • Re: (Score:3, Insightful)

        Not a chance. At 66 and still couch surfing, he is living proof that his free software economic model is broken even for him

        He's 66 - I guess all those years living mostly off the grid played hell with his 401k.

        Problem is, as he gets older, fewer people are going to want to have to deal with the costs involved if he drops dead while staying with them for a few months.

        And that's not counting all the crazies who will want to hold vigils or make a shrine at the place he dies.

        Best move is to nail him to

        • Re: (Score:2, Insightful)

          by mallyn ( 136041 )
          There is nothing wrong with being sweet 66. I turned 66 in May this year. But the state of Washington still thinks I am under 21. I still get carded! I also feel very young. I am doing a lot more stuff then i was at 33. I am making all of my own clothing now! I am also making metal and glass sculptures! I am full time docent and curator at the Spark Museum in Bellingham, Washington. I am also a star of Bellingham Television! I now have my own channel on youtube! I challenge you to look up Mark Allyn (spelle
          • I don't think the comment was aimed at him being 66 per se. It was that he's 66 and still living like a 20 year old unemployed call center worker. And things are potentially going to get worse for him as he ages with a lack of support system etc.

            Crashing with friends is cute in your 20's. In your 60's that shit is just undignified.
        • by astrofurter ( 5464356 ) on Monday September 30, 2019 @03:04AM (#59251784)

          Saints are known for their poverty. Thus your scurrilous attempt to insult the fame of St Richard falls on its face.

          You, on the other hand, are a Nazi who works for an evil corporation. I assume you can at least afford a studio apartment in the ghetto.

        • by dougmc ( 70836 )

          At 66 and still couch surfing, he is living proof that his free software economic model is broken even for him

          From his request --

          I am looking for a room in a shared house or apartment as an interim place where I could stay for at least two months.
          I can pay reasonable rent. The problem is finding a place to rent.

          "Couch surfing" is usually done for free, and that seems to be what you're after. But this looks more like "looking for a room" and "willing to pay" -- this is a pretty typical short term roommate situation and I don't see your link to a "free software economic model".

          That said, 66 is older than most people looking for roommates, but it's not like the reasons that people want roommates at 18 can't exist in a 66 year old ...

          His room search is off his site now, but it's still on the Internet Archive [archive.org] and minus the parts about digital listening devices and card locks none of what he's looking for is even unusual. (He is more precise than most, but ... that's a good thing if you ask me.)

  • Roommate (Score:3, Funny)

    by Anonymous Coward on Sunday September 29, 2019 @12:39PM (#59249734)

    Hey if you need to hide anything from RMS just put it under the soap!

  • Also, don't ask about breakfast... Don't even bring it up. (No idea why, it's in the "tour rider")
    • Right, you don't want to feed him after midnight. Isn't breakfast technically the first meal of the day? So unless you see him eating something, you may actually be offering him breakfast, right?

  • He's going to spend at least $1700-$2500 for a room or studio. Sorry RMS... Might as well spring for a 2-bedroom or a mortgage at that point.

    Commute in or pay the huge premium on living in the city. Even outside of the city... Have an anecdote. My first apartment when I turned 18 cost $700/mo in the greater metro Boston area. (Near Gilette, if anyone cares.) Nowadays, that same apartment costs $2500. It's insane.

    • Where I live $2500 a month will get you a mortgage on a million dollar house. Instead people need to feel trendy and live in the city. Enjoy your shoebox.

      • Where I live $2500 a month will get you a mortgage on a million dollar house.

        Same where I live. Except here the million dollar house is a two bedroom condo.

      • For some people, living in the city is a necessity, depends on how hell the commute to that city is basically. I live in zone 3 London and pay £900 per month on rent for the privilege, and I think the trade-off compared to a 2-hour commute is worth it.
      • by AmiMoJo ( 196126 )

        Do you not need a deposit to get a mortgage? In the UK you need 10% normally, minimum 5% in most cases. So you would need 100k in cash available to get a mortgage on a million Pound home.

        • by drnb ( 2434720 )

          Do you not need a deposit to get a mortgage? In the UK you need 10% normally, minimum 5% in most cases. So you would need 100k in cash available to get a mortgage on a million Pound home.

          Yes, similar practices here. With the exception that an honorably discharged military veteran can get a zero down payment loan, the loan is backed by the government.

      • > Where I live $2500 a month will get you a mortgage on a million dollar house.

        No, unless you can get an 0.75% loan (lol!!!) you won't.

        LTV of 80% means 20% down ($200K) and 80% financed ($800K). This is higher than the jumbo threshold of $453K for 2019.

        The fixed rate for a jumbo rate in the United States is currently higher than 4%.
        $800K financed over 30 years, the longest term available, puts the payment closer to $4K, not $2.5K.

        But hey, I could be wrong. If you can get a loan for $800K at 0.75% for 3

        • by Cederic ( 9623 )

          Yeah, $1m at $2500 is 30 years to pay back, even with 10% deposit, before interest.

          Just not going to happen.

        • There are banks that will do 50-year mortgages, but not many. That could land a $2500 monthly payment, not including mortgage insurance and certainly not including property insurance.

      • by ceoyoyo ( 59147 )

        Do they allow longer mortgage terms outside the city?

        • by cb88 ( 1410145 )
          No, but cost of homes and living expenses can be drastically lower... 300k gets you a very large very nice house in my area with an acre+.
      • Pointing out that apartments are smaller in the city doesn't make you look like a beacon of truth, it makes you look like an insecure sub-urban bumpkin. There are other reasons to live in cities that have nothing to do with "feeling trendy".
      • "Enjoy your shoebox"

        Enjoy your desolate suburban wasteland. :-/

    • Rents in any coastal US city are nuts nowadays. I’m not sure how most people manage to live there. And it doesn’t get much better within commuting distance, at least around here (Puget Sound area). I worry for my daughter’s generation.

    • having Stallman as a room

      I mean, who wouldn't rather have a nice man-cave as an addition to their house, rather than RMS?

    • Subject says it all

      It's good to have that confirmed because it did feel like something was missing.

    • by raymorris ( 2726007 ) on Sunday September 29, 2019 @01:33PM (#59249880) Journal

      I've frequently had someone stay with me for a few weeks up to a couple of months. Typically a newly sober alcoholic, or somebody fresh out of prison who has nowhere to go. I've referred to them as the "couch guy" - the dude staying on the couch (or spare bedroom) St the time. A couch guy comes in handy when you need to move furniture around or someone nto feed the dog while you're gone for the weekend.

      I've had alcoholic couch guys, drug addict couch guys, mentally ill couch guys ... Stallman might be the most interesting couch guy yet. I have a couple extra bedrooms, so if I lived in Boston I'd probably offer. Just for the experience and the stories.

    • by sad_ ( 7868 )

      me neither, that would be so cool!

  • Comment removed (Score:5, Insightful)

    by account_deleted ( 4530225 ) on Sunday September 29, 2019 @12:55PM (#59249768)
    Comment removed based on user account deletion
    • Who do you think can raise the visibility of Free Software better than Richard Stallman?
      • Donald Trump?

      • by drinkypoo ( 153816 ) <drink@hyperlogos.org> on Sunday September 29, 2019 @01:07PM (#59249798) Homepage Journal

        That's a great question, and one for which I don't have an answer either. But Stallman did have some clear drawbacks even before this incident. I mean, I wouldn't hire me to do it either, so I'm not trying to crucify the guy. I really appreciate everything he's done for software freedom, and hope to also appreciate things he does in the future.

        There's also room for basically any number of people to be doing that job, in a variety of contexts. Maybe it's not a good idea for it to be done by one person.

        In any case, I'm glad to hear that he's reconfirmed his commitment to GNU.

      • by ISayWeOnlyToBePolite ( 721679 ) on Sunday September 29, 2019 @03:32PM (#59250362)

        Who do you think can raise the visibility of Free Software better than Richard Stallman?

        The authoritarian style leadership under RMS didn't allow for a second in line. Whoever steps up will be either unknown or a different organisation altogether.

    • by JaredOfEuropa ( 526365 ) on Sunday September 29, 2019 @01:09PM (#59249802) Journal
      Even so, I still think Stallman was hard done by. In the old days people who disagreed with you might say "I think you are wrong", or "you are wrong", or even "how dare you say something like that?". Nowadays, it's "You are evil and I'll have your career for that". For having the wrong opinion. Modern-day McCarthy-ism.
      • by rsilvergun ( 571051 ) on Sunday September 29, 2019 @01:51PM (#59249932)
        but it's got nothing to do with Modern-day McCarthy-ism.

        Stallman struck a nerve by bringing up Epstein. The news cycle combined with an unwritten rule not to talk about the scandals of the rich and well connected meant that nobody, and I mean nobody, was supposed to bring up Epstein in a public contest.

        Seriously, this was a billionaire running a pedophile sex ring for other billionaires who died under mysterious circumstances. It should news 24/7. Every angle should be getting dissected and every journalist should be looking for leads. The fact that it isn't shows you just how good the system has gotten.

        Stallman broke the 1st rule of Billionaire Pedo Club: "Do not talk about Billionaire Pedo Club". He wasn't even a member. But he was a public figure. Guy never did have even an ounce of tact or the good sense to know when to keep his mouth shut. It makes him endearing, but it also is what got him in trouble.

        That said, I'd rather like to live in a world where it didn't.
        • by phantomfive ( 622387 ) on Sunday September 29, 2019 @02:19PM (#59250082) Journal
          It's pretty clear Stillman was pushed out because people in power wanted him out, and they used this as an excuse to do it.
          • by Cederic ( 9623 )

            Someone illicitly changing his homepage certainly supports that theory.

            • by AmiMoJo ( 196126 )

              Right, powerful people thought that hacking his site to make an easily retracted fake announcement would certainly destroy him.

          • by cb88 ( 1410145 )
            I can understand why also... I had a signals teacher that was absolutely terrible, he'd been there for 30 years and was drawing a kooshie 80k salary the hole time, while doing nothing but show up and talk in some class about theory that he was about 30 years out of date on.

            The teachers at the time even tried shaming him out of his job by having him each entry level signals at which he was terrible at doing, apparently he'd only had a single doctorates student during his tenure and they switched to someone
      • by ljw1004 ( 764174 )

        Even so, I still think Stallman was hard done by. In the old days people who disagreed with you might say "I think you are wrong", or "you are wrong", or even "how dare you say something like that?". Nowadays, it's "You are evil and I'll have your career for that". For having the wrong opinion. Modern-day McCarthy-ism.

        Even in the old days, people still said "you have demonstrated a sustained failure over many years to provide adequate leadership, of which the latest instance is an example, and have therefore we call for you to be stripped of your leadership."

    • by nnull ( 1148259 )

      And who is this mythical person that is going to be this amazing spokesperson for the FSF pushing free and open software for all? Because I don't see anybody else and no one is rushing to take the position.

      To me, I see this as a blow to every opensource and free software out there. But this is now characteristic of our society of cutting corners (Legally and physically). This is the new trend and Stallman stands in the way of this trend of cutting corners. I see a lot of opensource projects being misused in

    • I'll do it. I'm fine with cats and jumping dogs. I may teach your parrot nonsense fake French phrases.

    • We all know the next "leader" appointmented by the FSF board will be a Corporate Social Just-Us Nazi who will inevitably sell out the Free Software community for the benefit of her megacorp paymasters. That's why St Richard was purged. You know it, I know it, EVERYONE knows it.

  • > Friday he also posted that he's looking for a room in a shared house or apartment for at least two
    > months.
    >
    > "There should not be a cat (unless hypoallergenic), or a dog that jumps up excitedly on people
    > (unless quite small), or a digital listening device such as Echo, Siri or 'Hello Google', or a card
    > lock that records who opens the door. I will ask about cameras."

    Forget security cameras - install TV cameras and mics. This would be the only reality show worth watching.

  • When he resigned as president, did he also resign from the FSF organization? Or would the descriptor “FSF employee“ still match RMS himself?

    He’s always seemed to live just on the outskirts of crazy-town... guess I’m wondering if he’s finally taken that step of crossing over the city limits.

  • There should not be a cat (unless hypoallergenic), or a dog that jumps up excitedly on people (unless quite small),

    I've found that the really small jumping dogs are the worst. Those are the ones that get so excited that they pee on your legs.

    • by Anonymous Coward

      I've found that the really small jumping dogs are the worst. Those are the ones that get so excited that they pee on your legs.

      Yep and the really big jumping dogs, they're the worst too. Can knock you over and drown you in slobber. Don't get me started on the medium sized ones.

  • Comment removed based on user account deletion
    • hat "Stallman.org was defaced by an FSF employee.

      Every year, SJWs move closer to formally declaring the view that they are the Faithful and it's straight up open season on those that disagree with them.

      As this is concerning RMS: pot meet kettle, enjoy what's left of your glass house.

    • Do you work with any Social Just-Us Nazis? If so, report one of them to HR today! They are hateful people, surely you can find something one has done that warrants a trip to the commisars.

  • Being on MIT faculty and as visiting scientist for decades, surely he has the means to build a domicile that fits his criteria. If he just needs two months before he is building one, he doesn't have to stoop to AirBNB, there are hotels.

    • A MIT Visiting Scientist isn't a real faculty member, and may or may no be paid anything by MIT.
      • by novakyu ( 636495 )

        Do they at least qualify to live in MIT housing? Why does RMS suddenly need housing?

        • Sometimes they do. Being a Visiting Scientist is a really unstable position to be in. The status is ill defined and that is on purpose.

        • Why does RMS suddenly need housing?

          Because he used to actually live in his office, having a bed there for this exact purpose.

          As being kicked out of the MIT, he doesn't have an office anymore, thus not even a place to put his bed into.

          As he mentions in his room seeking ad, it's not the money that's the problem. He can pay rent, he only needs to find the suitable place to pay rent for.
          (keep in mind that he is weird. Having room-mate is probably his only way to get some base level of social interactions, and that's why he is specifically lookin

  • by enigmatic ( 122657 ) on Sunday September 29, 2019 @04:20PM (#59250566)

    I dont know Richard that well but I have spent hours on different occasions talking with him
    in a group. All the accusations and rumors above are just sad.

    I bet the people making them have never sat down and even had a conversation with him.

    He is eccentric and he lives life by his own rules as far as that is possible.
    I admire that. I admire eccentrics.

    For all the modern talk of inclusiveness, we are at the same time excluding eccentrics more and more.

    I dont live in the right part of the country, but I would be happy to offer him a place to stay.

    I have no idea what his financial situation is as some speculate above but i am sure none of the commenters know either.

    What I do know is that he is not driven by trying to get rich,

    • "What I do know is that he is not driven by trying to get rich,"

      This is considered dangerous behaviour by the rich and powerful elite. Those who control their own Bullshit Spreader Armies.
    • by Miser ( 36591 )

      As a fan of his for many years, it's BECAUSE he's eccentric that I'd love to sit down and talk to him. Well, not even talk. I would just listen.

      I also agree with other posters here - this "I don't agree with you, and because of that I'm going to ruin you." is some seriously dangerous stuff.

      My thought is is if enough people stood up to these folks that try to ruin others, it would stop. Similar to how "you cannot fire them all" you also cannot "ruin" them all.

    • I bet the people making them have never sat down and even had a conversation with him.

      The SJW who sparked the whole shit show openly said in her medium post that she doesn't even know who RMS is, only that she's outraged by his mails.

      Yeah, what a nice example.

  • Gonna be Stallman....
  • by gotan ( 60103 ) on Monday September 30, 2019 @06:12AM (#59251966) Homepage

    ... but also against the very principles it was built upon. The most important of those principles is "free as in freedom" which includes the freedom to express your opinion.

    And it is not only one employee abusing his privileges as an FSF employee, but also the FSF not condemning those actions nor making an effort to identify and oust the wrongdoer. It seems like a majority in the FSF organisation doesn't even consider the defacement as "wrongdoing".

  • That ad sounded rather high maintenance for a tenant. I suppose it's the price one pays if they wish to pick the brain of an eccentric genius.
    Seems like that would get old though.
    "Hey Richard, I just bought this really cool new LG refrigerator. It gives you reminders that you're out of stuff."
    RMS: *hiss*

    Good luck to whomever decided to take him in.

Math is like love -- a simple idea but it can get complicated. -- R. Drabek

Working...