Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
×
Microsoft GNU is Not Unix Operating Systems Software The Almighty Buck Windows Apache Technology

Microsoft Blesses LGPL, Joins Apache Foundation 425

Penguinisto writes "According to a somewhat jaw-dropping story in The Register, it appears that Microsoft has performed a trifecta of geek-scaring feats: They have joined the Apache Software Foundation as a Platinum member(at $100K USD a year), submitted LGPL-licensed patches for ADOdb, and have pledged to expand their Open Specifications Promise by adding to the list more than 100 protocols for interoperability between its Windows Server and the Windows client. While I sincerely doubt they'll release Vista under a GPL license anytime soon, this is certainly an unexpected series of moves on their part, and could possibly lead to more OSS (as opposed to 'Shared Source') interactivity between what is arguably Linux' greatest adversary and the Open Source community." (We mentioned the announced support for the Apache Foundation earlier today, as well.)
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

Microsoft Blesses LGPL, Joins Apache Foundation

Comments Filter:
  • by Anonymous Coward on Friday July 25, 2008 @06:10PM (#24342355)

    He doesn't like cold.

    • Yeah. Now watch all the banks fail in the US. Stranger every day.

    • by paroneayea ( 642895 ) on Friday July 25, 2008 @07:09PM (#24343133) Homepage

      ORLY?

      Actually, this isn't really much of a turnaround. Microsoft has long played the "we love open source" (but hate GPL!) stance. The Apache foundation has long since been in the BSD-like license camp (there's very little actual difference between the apache license and BSD). Microsoft really doesn't mind being able to take code. It just doesn't like the idea of having to give back. This may be a way of trying to push the open source community to move toward the BSD-style licensing community... after all, Microsoft uses BSD code. OSX *definetly* uses BSD code. It's possible to totally be proprietary and be cool with BSD.

      So what about the LGPL? The LGPL does require that if you make changes to the library, you have to give them back. So if you make changes to glib, you gotta give them back. But you can make any app link to glib, and be completely proprietary, and it doesn't have to be open source. In many ways, this isn't too much of a problem for Microsoft though, since they really aren't in the business of libraries, they're in the business of applications and operating systems. It's is a small advancement though.

      It's this kind of situation which is why the FSF, which originally produced the LGPL, wrote an essay saying that it's not always strategically the best choice for free and open source software [gnu.org].

      • by mpeskett ( 1221084 ) on Friday July 25, 2008 @08:01PM (#24343787)
        As far as I can tell the difference between the GPL and BSD licenses is basically the difference between a project, and a piece of code.

        Under BSD, they put out a project, it's open, and you can take bits and build it into something of your own, at which point it is your project, do what you like with it

        With GPL the person who wrote the code wants all of their code to remain 'open' wherever it goes, so if you swipe some of their coding and put it in your own module, to make that module proprietary would be locking up their code. Although of course, the original source remains open...

        Still, it makes the Extend (or maybe the Extinguish) part of the "3 E's" strategy harder if you have to give back everything you add.
      • by iamnotaclown ( 169747 ) on Friday July 25, 2008 @08:49PM (#24344201)

        they really aren't in the business of libraries, they're in the business of applications and operating systems.

        They're very much in the business of proprietary libraries. That's how they lock companies into the Windows platform. If they switched to glibc and gtk (or qt) it would be almost trivial for application vendors to recompile for any platform those libraries are available.

        • Re: (Score:3, Insightful)

          by moosesocks ( 264553 )

          They seem pretty much OK with Mono and the Mono team's Silverlight port.

          Honestly.... I don't get why Microsoft get treated like crap the instant that they start doing almost exactly what we wanted them to.

          I honestly couldn't give a damn if Windows is F/OSS or not. Being able to see the source with a licensed copy would be nice, but not a terribly huge priority for me.

          What is a priority, as a Linux user, is that Linux and Windows play nicely with each other. This means that Microsoft has to commit to keepi

          • by Bruce Perens ( 3872 ) * <bruce@perens.com> on Saturday July 26, 2008 @02:44AM (#24346161) Homepage Journal
            This means that Microsoft has to commit to keeping their protocols open to the open-source community,

            Actually, just using Open Standards would be better. And sometimes there are no Open Standards, and then publishing what they are using without restrictive IPR agreements is all we need them to do. They don't have to spend much money on this. We can make things interoperable without any more help than that.

            Rather than an ext3 driver on Windows, any network-attached storage device using an open protocol (like Samba) would be a better solution unless you're dirt-poor. Such devices sell below $250 these days.

      • Re: (Score:3, Informative)

        by BrainInAJar ( 584756 )
        "there's very little actual difference between the apache license and BSD"

        FUD and lies. The Apache license requires you share the code that is under the Apache license. Any file that contains any apache licensed code must remain apache licensed, along with any changes.

        The difference between Apache and GPL is that GPL defines some vague "project" whereas Apache uses the clear term "file" as the domain the viral clause applies to
        • Re: (Score:3, Interesting)

          by TeXMaster ( 593524 )
          Hm. So what happens if you refactor the code in an Apache-licensed file by taking it apart and making many small files? does the Apache license still apply to any new file which uses part of the original code in the file, or since these are new files you can do whatever you want with it?

          IOW, what happens to the code in the file? Can you grab it and do whatever you want with it, as long as you put it in another file?

          I suspect this would put the Apache license in a gray area just as much as GPL has regard

    • by mooreti1 ( 1123363 ) on Friday July 25, 2008 @10:09PM (#24344773)
      I imagine even God is looking at the Devil and saying, "Dude, don't look at me. Even I didn't see that coming."
    • by Bruce Perens ( 3872 ) * <bruce@perens.com> on Saturday July 26, 2008 @03:16AM (#24346261) Homepage Journal
      This became public on Newsforge a few years after I left HP, that's where I got this copy.

      During much of the time I was at HP - hired to be an Open Source leader first and an HP employee second - I knew about this and had to keep it secret. It was a pretty big hardship for me, obviously I felt I was being disloyal to my own community. I'm pasting it in here today so that we don't forget Microsoft's previous intentions toward Apache. - Bruce