  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:05:29 -0800 (PST)
    From: Alex Belits
    To: webmaster@linux.com,
    webmaster@infomagic.nl
    Cc: webmaster@infomagic.com,
    ta@nl.net,
    torvalds@transmeta.com
    Subject: Comment about linux.com

    Web site is poorly designed, does not display correctly in Netscape,
    contains no useful information, is written in poor style, and the comment
    about FrontPage demonstrates an incompetence of the author in the area of
    HTML development tools, available on Linux. Attempt ro submit comments
    returns FrontPage error.

    The design of linux.com web site deeply insults me, and I believe that
    the name of Linux operating system (that is a tradematk of Linus Torvalds)
    should not be used in the association with this display of ignorance,
    incompetence and poor taste.

    --
    Alex

    ------------------------------------------------ ----------------------
    Excellent.. now give users the option to cut your hair you hippie!
    -- Anonymous Coward

  • I think that kit is supposed to be used if someone screws up when tweaking the kernel or a shell script used by init or a config file or things like that which prevent the system from booting. It's not supposed to recover from Linux doing random crashes--which Linux almost never does, of course.

  • Posted by antivert:

    I'm a Photoshop lover and purist. 3.5 was the very best release.. all others have been an attempt to grasp a few extra dollars after Adobe having realized the ugly truth that they'd made a perfect product. And I love The Gimp. Even Adobe recommends it. Booyah!
  • Posted by OGL:

    I'm rather upset at the cavalier attitude this site's creators hold toward this monstrosity. There must be something we can do to stop them. Until we figure out how our best hope is to make them realize how much they've pissed everyone off already with the 64k line to Frontpage. I hope everyone reading this has or will email them.

    -W.W.

  • 193.79.73.117:80 * Linux 1.2.xx

    Funny that they would use 1.2.xx don't you think?

  • Sending quite the nasty E-Mail.

    A few select comments:
    This page design is HORRIBLE!
    How can you justify this defacing of such a fine OS?
    The comment page itself is a great example.
    This page looks like it was created by my 12 yr. old sister.
    My mother in law could make a better page in Microsoft Word for christ's sake.
    This site makes Linux look like an OS for 14 year old kids.
    Please get a clue.
    And stop running it on NT you fucker...

  • HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:33:13 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.2.5 FrontPage/3.0.4
    Last-Modified: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 20:10:05 GMT
    ETag: "3b815-2d9-3692719d"

    Incidentally, it looks like Microsoft *does* provide these server extensions, but I'd rather use the GPL'ed version... (provides source, isn't as slow as ftp.microsoft.com, etc... :)
  • Patrick Volderking does Slackware, and the official distributor is Walnut Creek CDROM. InfoMagic probably makes a Slackware CD, but they probably also make RedHat and Debian and etc. cd's.
  • Considering how cheap bandwidth is with various places that will host a site (like he.net), I don't know why they appear to be running it off a 386 over a 14.4 dialup. As for it being not so pretty, even the old linux.org site was infinitely better. I had to scroll three screens over to see the header text.

    This is also a prime example of why frames have such a bad reputation. I've seen 12 y/o kids put together nicer junk over on geocities in their first attempt. At least the people behind linux.com managed to tile a background, sorta.

    And what's the deal with using Microshaft FrontPage? That's not exactly the best way to promote Linux as an alternative, or at least I don't think it is.
  • And I still hate it. I hardly ever post comments, but here I am posting to this for the second time just because I hate linux.com so much.

    Having spent the better part of the last two years trying to prove to friends and people I work with Linux is for real, it's garbage like this that can undo all the work almost instantly. Linux is at a point where it needs to be promoted not only as tons of fun, but as a professional and personal solution for the proprietary garbage people have been fed for the last two decades.

    Seeing FrontPage mentioned seriously offends me. M$ and what they stand for is the exact polar opposite of what Open Source projects like Linux stand for. Claiming the use of FP is necessary because the tools for creating sites under Linux essentially suck is not good promotion. If you can't do the job right, let someone who can do it for you.
  • What, and Crashdot is some fsckin work of art?

    Be glad there's one more Linux site out there and stop being so critical. At least their site works.

  • Instead, if you have professional Internet design / development experience, use the feedback form at the site, and offer some constructive criticism, or your time to help create a more usuable site.

    I agree that this site is NOT -currently- much to look at. However, with some work, it could be a terrific opportunity to reach those people who have heard of Linux, decide to visit linux.com (most people don't even know the .org hierarchy exists), etc.
  • About a week ago I sent in the URL (see above) of the slashdot-like site I created for German-speaking Linux users. "Linux BBS" offers Linux news, a web site catalog and in a few days also a hardware compatibility database.

    Since I am looking for help in maintaining the site, I sent a message to slashdot - without getting mentioned ever since... :-(

    Regards, Jochen

  • does a website have to be hideous and painful to look at to be considered useful? some of us have aesthetic standards.

    asinus sum et eo superbio

  • I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories,
    but the content of that website is appalling,
    to say nothing for the style. Mr Update? Hello?
    It looks like it's deliberately bad.
  • Howdy,
    I would appreciate if all authors would stay to facts in their article summary. Personally I am *not* interested in your personal opinion about a contribution.
    Whether linux.com is nasty or not is a dicision, everybody can make himself. /.'s intention is to start an open and uninfluenced discussion. Giving such a negative critic in the head column is not the way to reach that goal.
    IMHO CmdrTaco clearly misused his position. We have seen that with sengan and his column about the latest US/UK offensive against Irak.
    To all authors: Most of us are old enough to judge the things ourselves. I would higly appreciate if article summarys would be free from emotional and personal bias.
    Regards Tobias
  • is it just me, or is the title "LinuxDotCom" an attempt to be as cool as Slashdot?

    because it didn't work.
  • This site needs to be taken out of its misery. "Free trial version" of Linux? What the hell is this? I do not want Linux (tm) to become synonymous with demo software. Sad, and this has gone too far.
  • When I loaded the page, Tux looked like he was stretched on the rack and looked like a beanpole. What's going on here?
  • Well, the you don't need to scroll to the bottom to see it's a FrontPage job. What amuses me is that he's "using frontpage because netscape sucks", more or less. Someone buy this guy a clue and tell him about vi, emacs, pico, joe, or any other linux text editor... if you can't hack HTML by hand, you don't need to be making web pages (there are those who can, but chose not to, that's different).

    And on top of it all, the site is hideously slow. I didn't even bother going very deep, since it was taking forever on my multiple-T3 link to the world.

    I hope he gets lots of comments sent to the link on the page.
  • Is it just me, or has the site been slashdotted?
  • What has the world come to, when someone that has submitted kernel patches also uses Frontpage to design web pages?

    Maybe it's just me, but I can see why Linus would have rejected his patches. Frontpage, or most any HTML editor is no substitute for coding it yourself and knowing exactly what is on the page.
  • This is different. freshmeat.net is not an obvious first choice for newcomers looking for Linux information, and so there is no obligation to be relevant (I think the new format is pretty good, btw).

    linux.net and linux.com are obvious first places however. As such it isn't unreasonable to expect the owners of these sites to publish Linux information, or at least put in some prominent links to more appropriate starting points.

    Is it really appropriate for linux.net to be selling CDs of windows development products?
  • Sheesh - look at the aspect ratio on the poor guy!
  • to bring shame to the name Linux.

    It is so sad.

    Please Fred van Kempen, show that it is not true,
    show that you still support Linux, give up the domain linux.com and whatever else you have. I am shure Linus will take another kernel patch from you, maybe... please...

    It is so sad.
  • yeah, but still.. what self respecting linux user would even remotely consider touching frontpage with a 10 foot pool! Frontpage is about the most worthless program on the face of this planet... The messed up HTML it spits out is a discrace! I can spot a site generated with frontpage from a mile away....

  • And apparently running on NT or a 386 since it
    is now slow as a dog.
  • What's so bad about linux.org ? I've used it quite a few times as a gateway to the FAQs/HOWTOs.

    I have to agree that linux.com and linux.net seem to have a most un-Linux-like focus.

  • Jeez... is the site connected to 28.8 modem? :)

    I can get some pings to it but the transfer time is horridious. Anyone think it is kinda of funny that it is slow compared to other sites?

  • My god.

    It's hideous.
  • I quote: "The web site is designed and managed with Microsoft FrontPage 98. Not pretty, agreed, but a whole lot better at the job than for example Netscape, which basically only has an HTML editor. Now that they (Microsoft) have created a Linux version of their Server Extensions, perhaps they'll also be as smart for the baseline package itself... FrontPage for Linux"

    What the fsck is wrong with VI and a bunch of perl scripts?

    Sheesh. If one isn't capable to build a decent site, then for the love of god, he shouldn't.

    -W
  • That might not be such a bad idea - point the names to a Yahoo like directory that deals exclusively with Linux and Linux related web sites and resources.

    Administer as most other Linux projects are...
  • Gee....this is evil.

    It must be a Microshaft new FUD tactics.
  • ok, If you don't want to run it as a general purpose linux site how about a for sale sign?

    Maybe include a link to linux.org, kernel.org, etc?

    I am sure we could compile a list of top 100 linux sites to include on your page.

    The crash kit gives the wrong impression. Only for redhat5.0??? :-)

    Chuck
    p.s. is the previous post for real?
  • Hiyas!
    Unlike most of you creeps who are too nerdly to post things with your full name and address, here's my comment to recent issues.

    Linux.COM has been mine for a long time. I never sold out to major moneymakers. I never used it for personal pleasure (although I could have, given the fact the domain's mine) and I never did anything with it.

    Robert Stockmann's comments earlier in this flame war (hey Rob - "no flames" the rules say?) is about correct - that's how this thing happened.

    Now, so all of you can rest in peace: I have sold the domain to a party that will make all of you *AND* me happy. They'll probably send out the official press release. Things look good - and they will do what I always wanted the domain to be: the definive source for anyone seeking info on how to use/deploy Linux in a commercial environment. And that includes a stuffed ftp.linux.com !

    And yes, I work for Microsoft, Cisco and COMPAQ these days. Rumors *are* true as far as that is concerned ;-)

    The web site I have taken down to save on my leased line, which, unfortunately, is not a T3 :(

    Cheers,
    Fred

And it should be the law: If you use the word `paradigm' without knowing what the dictionary says it means, you go to jail. No exceptions. -- David Jones

Working...